Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Landscaping project
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 20 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One side left to do, then it may well be trying to get things tidy, stable and a little terraced. Biggest issue is piles of wood, some trellis that can be used for peas in the beds, some post material that really needs salvaging, but I lot of rubbish.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 20 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seen at that angle and considering the dubious existing boundary line

is there a good line for a practical boundary?

carp is carp and has to go

derbyshiredowser

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 20 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously don't know your situation but as a ex network planner for BT we got involved in many a land / boundary dispute from a wayleave point of view. Is it worth agreeing a mutually agreed boundary with the marsh land owner and yourselves before doing anymore of your back breaking work on the fence / boundary ?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 20 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How crazy or bad would it be, to layer the biodegradable wood on the deck, add a liberal sprinkling of compost and wild flower seeds and just let nature take its course?

As far as boundaries go, I am not at all sure on the boundaries on the left aside from it clearly extending beyond and possibly way beyond any conceivable use.

I'm treating the back of the deck as the boundary to that point. Again the situation is pretty clear that that is not something to sanely exceed.

To the right the line is unclear, it cuts from the back corner of the deck in a straight line to the far right corner of the garden rather a long way away.

The vagaries there might be an issue if I decided say to put down some gabion cages behind the fence line. But my preference unless forced is to place faith in hedging and how solid my terracing work is further up the garden.

To be honest, we have been here for six years now and I have not seen a soul at the back of the property as getting there would be a major mission. I'd be pretty surprised if anybody would know or care if I transgressed the boundaries a little in the name of preventing subsidence.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 20 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the wood is treated, it is not a good heap

get rid

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 20 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my aching muscles were talking.

Being more sane, there is no deadline. We do not need more raised beds, so I have a place to start sorting the wood to. There is a lot of solid wood amongst it

The desirable thing to do, is to completely remove the deck, but that does not have to happen to a fast timescale.

I think tomorrow is a bit of recharge time.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 20 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea. If you have no real deadline, I would think about it for a bit. As Dpack says, treated wood is not a good thing to compost in bulk. Reclaim what you can, then if you can, get the rest disposed of. Any unteated can be allowed to rot gently and added to the compost of wild flower meadow. If you just want wild flowers there, do you need to do any more, apart from fence/hedge for the boundary?

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 20 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a day or two off is good, after that you lose physical condition

you have done some quite heavy stuff recently, take a rest and heal the little injuries for a day or two

get it right is better than get if faster than sensible

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 20 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am decidedly bruised and aching today

But have made a small start.

What I see is a lattice of thin but close, slightly decaying joists. Can't say I remember span tables by heart, but joist wise I know it would pass. The posts are another matter. Seem to be the same size and from what I can see so far, not exactly lots of them. Might conceivably be legit in a table, but inadequate to reality here.

The other point is that whilst I am all in favour of non bouncy decks and close joists. In this situation joists that are too close to get below cuts off any possibility of maintenance.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 20 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWFI, NIF

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 20 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a chilled day, daft to break yourself

consider what you know is fairly safe for most folk so re the garden that is my advice

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 20 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
CWFI, NIF

???? ???

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 20 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" can we fix it?, no it's fu####"

bob usually was right but he was polite on telly

the old wood and suchlike needs to go

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 20 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow progress. One obvious point about a rebuild is that I have bleated on about the flooding and not being able to see. It would not be clever to rebuild before actually seeing!
The possible exception to that is heavy duty posting that anticipates the worst and have time to settle before being built on to.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 20 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therefore good to clear out the débris and see what next winter brings?
You need a break!!
You have done a marvellous job there, in such a short time🙂

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 20 of 49
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive