Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Decking replacement.
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 20 4:39 pm    Post subject: Decking replacement. Reply with quote

I've an area of composite decking 9x5, that needs to be replaced with wood.

Essentially the subframe has shifted and settled over the last 8 years since it was put down, and boards have cracked. Replacing individual boards is not an option.

Do I pull it all up, and relay on the existing (adjusted) joists with wood, OR could I lay wood over the composite, using 2 inch joists, and adjusting their height to cope with the unevenness? The additional height is no problem. The advantage will be speed. Is there a downside to over laying? The subframe is NOW settled.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 20 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sub frame/composite might rot before the new skin but at that point re use the skin

if it is stable using it as a base to put a flat skin over should be ok

do ensure the movement has ceased or take it all out and do it with footings that work in your earth

a nail gun and plenty of plastic shims are rather handy for that sort of job.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 20 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooh nail gun

be careful

Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 20 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheheheheh. I'd screw it. I have a nail gun, and it's loads of fun, but screws are better, I feel.

Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 20 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shims. WHat a great call. Thanks.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 20 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use the rough shank ones they are pretty secure

use screws to pull it into place and spikes to connect it permanently can work fairly well.

Jonnyboy

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 20 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you lay over the composite boards don't you run the risk of them still cracking underneath and you losing more structural integrity, captain*

*TMStar Trek

Nick

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 20 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think so. I’ll probably run the boards at 90 degrees to the others with plenty of new support. And these will be level, thus lacking the stress. The composite board were one of the first generation and have become brittle. Hoping redwood board will retain a bit of flex.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 20 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will certainly be faster, but it sounds and may look, a bit of a bodge job, especially if you are laying them at right angles to the existing boards. You will need to make sure that each of the supports is level and in good condition too.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 20 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I diced decking board to act as shims when correcting levels on the sub frame the cowboys put in. But that was a lost cause really.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 20 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
It will certainly be faster, but it sounds and may look, a bit of a bodge job, especially if you are laying them at right angles to the existing boards.

Why? You'd not see the bottom layer.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 20 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:
It will certainly be faster, but it sounds and may look, a bit of a bodge job, especially if you are laying them at right angles to the existing boards.

I have to admit that this in an approach I have contemplated for our deck that's falling into the marsh. If the structure is stable then just build on top of it.
Was about to make joke about it being as stable as Cummings position, but even now that's probably untrue.

Nick

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 20 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jema wrote:
Nick wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:

I have to admit that this in an approach I have contemplated for our deck that's falling into the marsh. If the structure is stable then just build on top of it.
Was about to make joke about it being as stable as Cummings position, but even now that's probably untrue.

I think if it lasts another week, it'll last until the job is done. Post no-deal Brexit? He's of no use.

Jewson have just quoted me a grand for everything I need, and week is forcing me into a holiday, so...

dpack

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 20 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
jema wrote:
Nick wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:

I think if it lasts another week, it'll last until the job is done. Post no-deal Brexit? He's of no use.

Jewson have just quoted me a grand for everything I need, and week is forcing me into a holiday, so...

if you ordered one bag of shims, get two, and get some pins for the nail gun to keep them in place during construction

escaped shims are a pita

Nick

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 20 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They come in big bags. And the plan was at least two. I’ve 80m2 to do ish.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive