links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Veg to sow now...
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 20 12:48 pm    Post subject: Veg to sow now... Reply with quote

I have done spectacularly badly at successional sowing this year (as always) despite actually being here all the time - so I need to do some late sowings. What are downsizers sowing now...?

tahir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 20 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sowing anything (no plot)

But:

Dwarf french beans
Coriander
Fenugreek
Early carrots
Leeks sowed densely for baby leeks
Spinach
Cauli
Cabbage
Cavolo Nero

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 20 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tahir. I might try some more carrots as mine didn't amount to much this year. It looks as if I will have enough runner beans to cover the bean situation, and with any luck my cabbages and leeks should be good. We don't tend to eat the rest.

Do you only have orchard? I thought you had a vegetable garden too.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 20 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always had a plot till the new house got built. When we first moved here we had more than an acre of veg plus sheep. Unfortunately the only location that the planning officer deemed suitable for the new house was in the middle of our veg plot, right on top of the greenhouse. Since then we've just been too busy with the orchards and furniture and....

We'd love to do it again but we'd need someone local to do it in partnership with, but most people just don't have the necessary gumption.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 20 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pak choi if you can keep the flea beetle off (wondermesh or fleece)

gythagirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 20 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, Tahir, I will pop in some carrots and spinach, will also try the new packet of rocket again which didn't germinate at all earlier. Have only just planted out my leek seedlings and the my cav nero is slowly disappearing under the weight of the caterpillars - talk about eating yourself out of house and home...
Wouldn't have thought of French beans but I have climbing French just coming into flower, so along with the over-productive runners (spiced runner bean chutney production starting soon!) should be ok there.
Have also remembered the pak choi - I recall Monty Don saying it's more successful later in the year, first sowing didn't heart up at all.

Some rain would help

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 20 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way we could grow brassicas was under wonder mesh, otherwise between the pigeons, caterpillars and flea beetle they were doomed.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 20 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd cover the leeks with mesh too, leek moth had become quite an issue for us by the time we gave the plot up.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 20 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to say that we haven't suffered from that here yet. My leeks are coming on quite well, so should give a good winter crop. I might have another go at some french beans as mine were a disaster this year. Like you, time is a problem.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 20 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got some nice nasturtium flowers and 2 radishes and 3 mange tout this year

the cucumber is hysterically inadequate the vine made it to about a foot from the soil and both the tiny rotting cucumbers are about half an inch long

even though i have been within in feet of them all most of the time a mix of slug, mouse, bird and invertebrate sneaked past me and devastated everything

the bramble is spectacularly productive, which is nice although it is full of things that bite, sting and scratch, my right forearm looks like it had a few months in a jungle

gythagirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 20 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re nasturtiums I've come to the conclusion that they just encourage MORE butterflies, who see all the others and decide there's more room on whatever brassicas are being grown. I am indeed going to enviromesh the leeks - haven't grown them for a couple of years as last time out they got decimated - I'd never come across leek moth before. it's a bugger. There's always something...and yet we gardeners always have faith in the following year

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 20 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder mesh is great for all flying bugs. I might still have some. Do you want me to check?

gz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 20 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leek moth is gradually working Northwards.
It had just arrived in Cwmcarn in 2010, not sure how fast the progression is.
The leeks are ok here so far.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 20 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am in the south, but further west than Tahir. Hopefully it will not come this way, but I will be on the lookout for it.

gz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 20 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sorted it by using a fine mesh net over the leeks which was raised as they grew, keeping it above and not touching top or sides

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive