Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Gas fired turbines
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 20 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

late medieval/early tudor chimneys were sometimes made of timber or wattle and daub

not many still exist, after the various fires fire proof chimneys(and tiled roofs in urban areas) were among some of the earliest building regs

iirc the york citywide fire in the 1500's made flame proof roofs manditory

hence no thatch or shingles inside the walls

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 20 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding old damp courses,2 layers of slate would work fine,with the 2nd layer over lapping the joints of the first,or 2 courses of Staffordshire blue bricks.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 20 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think they either didn't care, or didn't understand about how it should be done. Same with the fire wall. Not sure when the regulations came in round our way, and if they were more used to dealing with flint build, I don't know if those have damp courses as the flint is impermeable anyway.

I think different places brought in building regulations at different times. In London even stricter regulations about non-flammable materials on the outside of buildings, such as door and window lintels were brought in after the Great Fire, but suspect in small towns and rural areas, the regulations were far more lax for far longer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive