Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Using A Dehydrator
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 20 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! Dehydrator was delivered yesterday!

Today I want to wash all eight of the trays and decide what I want to do for the initial dehydration.

Also, decide where it will live. Depends on how noisy it is to run - will the kitchen be O.K, or should it go in the upstairs guest bathroom with the door closed - there's a low bureau up there where it would fit nicely but how do I then fill / empty trays.

Who knew there was so much to consider! Stay tuned for future developments.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 20 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wherever it goes it does need good ventilation so as dry air goes in and damp air leaves the area

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 20 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dehydrator is having its initial run today.

Lowest tray has halved cherry tomatoes. One quart is sufficient for one tray and takes about 30 minutes to halve and place.

Next six trays have mixed baby greens - kale, chard, and spinach. They will be powdered once crispy dry and used in soups, smoothies, etc.

I did buy a timer - the kind that goes into wall outlet and appliance plugs into timer. Once unpacked it says suitable for light bulbs of thus and such kind. Decided to wait and discuss with Mr jam Lord before putting into service.
Update: He says its O.K. Next time. Although remembering 10 hours is rather easy.

Will report back this evening.

gz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 20 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just done 4 trays of rather ripe strawberries and one of apricots (quartered as they were huge)
Managed not to dry them too far this time, although strawberry crisps are nice

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 20 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran dehydrator for 10 hours.

Greens - baby kale, baby spinach, baby Swiss chard - fully dried and crispy. Scrunched by hand then ran through Magic Bullet. One and one-half pounds powdered down to a small jar.

Cherry tomatoes dried somewhat leathery but not dry, dry. Which I didn't want anyhow. Problem - there were some that were larger than most of them. Tossed them with some red wine vinegar, then drained. Placed in a jar and used olive oil.to covered them well.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 20 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you use the powdered greens for Jam Lady?

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 20 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little goes a long way, Mistress Rose. Sprinkle on scrambled eggs, add to a smoothie or soup, add to homemade salad dressing.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 20 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will take snaps of shroom drying and try to give details

some dried greens are ace, seaweed springs to mind as a different one

i have done that a few times, very nice as sushi sheets or sprinkles

it does need a good wash to get the sand out

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 20 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jam Lady.

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 20 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't find Concord grapes, my preferred variety so today I prepped two punnets (weigh 3 pounds each) of seedless black table grapes for jelly making. Strained off the juice. Typically I would use the pulp to make grape butter but have decided I will instead use the dehydrator and make grape leather.

Since there are 8 trays and the dehydrator came with 8 liners for making fruit leather I might also open a pint of homemade applesauce and dry that also.

In fact, I might make a cranberry apple version.

Question for those of you who have mentioned making fruit leather in a dehydrator - my on-line search found suggested times of 4 hours, 8 hours, all the way up to 12 hours to make the fruit leather. That's quite a spread! Any suggestions / recommendations / details / advice you care to share?

Inquiring minds would like to know . . .

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 20 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as fruit (and other stuff) varies in water content fixed timings are a bit crude

i just have a look every few hours until it is fairly dry but still flexible, even cruder, but very effective
similar with everything else as well

ps the temperature guide that comes with that machine is much more useful, the best temp for something might vary between machines by a bit but should be in the right area if you find a recipe you want to try

i spose it is similar to "when will my stew be ready?" or "is that loaf done yet?"

Jam Lady

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 20 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six hours. Still not done. Tasted. Don't care for them. Check off list and look for something else to dehydrate.

gz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 20 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly it is like plums and apples, you get cookers and eaters with grapes?

gz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 20 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dried a batch of Victoria plums, halved. Ok, but would be better with a darker plum

yummersetter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 20 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replied twice , a couple of weeks apart, with pretty much the same info so wiped out the second one. But my bio reminded me that I first found Downsizer in 2008 after a search for information on how to use the dehydrator!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive