About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Windbreaks for an allotment
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 20 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because a shipping container is higher than anything else I could put up, I hypothesise it will shelter more of the allotment. (I believe the usual guide is shelter over three times the height, and diminishing protection over eight times the height) I think it may be worth thirty foot of good shelter and the whole allotment getting some shelter, with the fruit bushes at the least sheltered end (where they are already planted) as they are not doing much at the windiest time of year and are highly unlikely to blow away! I’m also thinking of myself. I would value doing my winter work in a smaller part of the plot that’s well sheltered, rather than spreading partial protection over the whole plot.

While I agree a very large solid barrier might impose problems, I think a twenty foot one isn’t going to deflect enough wind to be a major issue further down. Almost the whole row have sheds at that end, so it’s effectively one long partial windbreak anyway. Also, if solid barriers aren’t effective, however did walled gardens become the pinnacle of kitchen gardening?

Such a pity walls aren’t allowed. I’ve always covered a walled garden!

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 20 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a shed or shipping container that end seems to be the best place. You could always add a mesh or hurdle fence part way down if it is needed for extra protection.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 20 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a similar problem and tried a few things over the years.

I've decided on a heavy duty fruit cage structure that will hopefully mean I can put wind mesh down a couple of sides and bird/butterfly netting down the others. 1" steel tubing type structure, not cheap but neither is putting in some good quality fence posts to attach the wind mesh to.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 20 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a useful way to go. Will be interested to hear how well it works.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive