Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Exporting
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gz wrote:
Thanks Tahir.
It knocks you back on your heels, thinking about all the paperwork...one reason I pulled back on things a few years ago.
No more Japanese and Italian paper????

rensho is a strategic commodity, there will be a way

iti paper is nice for some things, as is some froggie paper, ditto re availability.

this madness has put the price of anything made outside brexitland up though, iirc "ordinary" loads are costing X2 from the mainland to brexitland for transport and owt time dependant is very iffy
outgoing seems to be a nightmare at the mo

i was chatting with an "international trader" recently and transport is both more difficult due to low volume and has increased wholesale prices by close to double

domestic production for the domestic market is an option, but it does restrict the range of goods available

IFH brexit and its purveyors, and have little but contempt for any stupid enough to support it unless they are profiteers, those i really hate.

FMU reap the whirlwind.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy a small item that needs packaging, they use 30 layers of rensho, iron it flat again this end might work

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see things they do not teach at school etc.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55680315

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
domestic production for the domestic market is an option, but it does restrict the range of goods available

We still manufacture in the UK but it's almost impossible. Even if prices were higher (prices are lower in clothing now than when I started in the business 39 years ago) there just aren't the staff available. All the first and second generation immigrant stuff are gone or going, the next generation don't want manual labour jobs, and of course "we" don't want migrant labour. The last time I saw a white British person working in any of the factories we use was more than 20 years ago.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulp, that is horrible

when folk said brexit was shooting the UK and its businesses in both feet and the face they were correct

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do you drop the www and switch over to the brinternet?

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 21 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the great firewall of china?

no personal contact does seem rather convenient for the enemy as leccy is easy to monitor

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 21 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahir, we used to have a Canda factory not far from us and both my SILs worked there at one time. It shut years ago, and of course C&A, who they made for, are long gone too. Is it the speed that people are supposed to work, the pay or conditions or what? Or is it that people aren't 'educated' for factory work these days? Not meaning to be rude, but we have heard some nasty stories about some clothing manufacturers lately, and while I am sure you wouldn't directly run anything like that, some of your contractors might try to get away with it.

I rather suspect that the idea of ordering something and expecting it to turn up next day at very low prices might be going out of the window as the result of Covid 19/Brexit/ using more of income for necessities. I must say that it would please us if people did a bit more forward planning rather than expect firewood the day after they order in the middle of a cold snap in winter.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 21 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today 2 more things reared their ugly heads

import from the usa has become far more complex and now needs all tax fees payed before dispatch(i have been caught out by "awaiting import tax" in the past but now it is upfront, cant be bothered to send that anymore, i do not know about outgoing

and

"it was "free postage from china, now it costs£40" which for a single lowish value item did seem rather offputting, i have no reason to disbelieve that

it is not just trade with the EU based folk, but we have had many existing trading rights stolen from us as bycatch

IFHTk's impose trade sanctions on your own country is beyond reason(unless one is a disaster capitalist, see mogg senior etc) and imho a direct attack upon us.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 21 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether it was intentional of not, that does rather seem to be the case.

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 21 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't think they have even thought about the consequences. I rather suspect it's come about by the sheer arrogance our politicians seem to have in vast quantities. Unfortunately, whilst they are taught from day 1 how to be confident, they're not taught how to be competent. The rule unintended consequences is going to come out to play, which play rather nicely into Rees-Mogg Senior's 'chaos economics theory'. There is always money to made in adv ersatz for those who are unscrupulous enough to do so. Covid19 must seem like a heaven sent gift.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 21 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll take time to work through all the issues but right now we have several consignments stuck in Italy because there's paperwork to do both ends and no one's prepared for it. Our freight forwarder is going to be charging an extra £50 at the Italy end and £50 at the UK end per consignment.

Filling forms costs money

Shan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 21 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until they get their Kent Permit, which then runs out whilst you're waiting for your paperwork to be approved.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 21 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the consignment is large enough to make that worth while Tahir. It is going to increase all costs in the UK I fear.

I am not sure if they thought about the consequences or not. Certainly it is playing into the hands of the Rees-Mogs, and at present they seem to be going along with their ideas about keeping the 'workers' down with proposed changes to labour laws.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive