Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
A different kind of landscaping project needed.
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 21 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old wells are sometimes encountered in the woods here, and old cellar holes, but mines are faiy rare (and often known about)

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 21 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9 dead was in the Chinese Gold mine collapse Slim.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 21 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
The 9 dead was in the Chinese Gold mine collapse Slim.
from the little i know of it , the bang man did his bit to loosen some rock but something bad happened with 20 or so folk the wrong side of the way out

perhaps a bit like the unfortunate chaps in wales a few years ago, full of unexpected water has had mentions as well as blocked in

holes are dangeroos, legacy holes even more so.

ty is the expert but i have needed to learn a few things about holes

re old ones, i used to spend a fair bit of time in penwith, more holes than a swiss cheese
3 of us were having a nice picnic in a pretty but slightly moody place, there was a rumble and with no visible cracking on the surface we ended up about 10 feet closer to the sea ,
later we found that a large hole with a 4 second rock drop to the splash had opened up a couple of hundred yards along the clifftop slope
that was a bit lucky and educational, old mineral mines are interesting

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 21 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese gold mine was a shaft mine working on different levels,bad geology can cause big falls,safety in chinese mines is rather lapse to what is in the UK.

There was nothing unexpected about the water in the Gleision Colliery,it was marked on the plans with a 37m cautionary barrier,no precautionary procedure was in place to drive through and no permission given by mines inspectorate,
The outcome was a big cover up.

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 21 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm, known, ignored and later hidden is bad

a drop shaft and multi level workings as seemingly in the china tragedy would seem to have built in h and s issues

if we had needed to continue i was heading for a quarry face as a "emergency exit" as we wormed and chambered for living and storage space, down and secure is fine but a back door made sense

in some ways holes are comfortably "safe", in others they can be well nasty

had we needed to continue i recon i had about 50 ft to go sideways from the lowest "chamber" to get to the face(i was going to get close with a tiny hole [air could be useful as well] that could be enlarged quickly if needs be)
the top was hard, with lots of metal and concrete and obstacles physical and human to eviction, but emergency exit was in the plan , even if it needed stealth

an obstructional intent in gritstone with sandstone/sandy bits and fractures is pretty safe compared to hunting coal or minerals for a living

any occupied hole should have at least 2 doors imho, two drops and work between them is a good plan for any mining, money makes that tricky

the gleison thing of ignoring the water out of the "break through " drilling was very wrong, i am an amateur but would not have popped that wall even without the benefit of maps etc that showed where it might be coming from

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 21 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gleison thing of ignoring the water out of the "break through " drilling was very wrong,

If permission had been given by the inspectorate drilling was the correct procedure,advance boring in a fan as one advanced through the cautionary barrier,when one contacts water through this procedure,one knows the distance from the water.
Every thing that happened before this incident was totally wrong,management side and i hate to say workmen side,it was just not what one does in them circumstances.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 21 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there were a lot of questions asked at the time, but it seemed to fade from the news Ty Gwyn. Thank goodness mine safety in the UK, and lack of mines, makes that rare.

Slim, the UK is a small country with lots of people. A lot of towns owe their existence to mines, ports and similar, so there are now a lot of ways the old reasons can come and bite them. For instance, salt has been extracted at a number of towns ending in 'wich' since at least Saxon times; over 1000 years ago, and one at least has serious subsidence because of it. In our woods we have the remains of Bronze Age fields and burial mounds, Saxon boundary ditches and banks and WWII dug outs. This history dates back over 3000 years, and is within about a mile of a village of several thousand people. We always tell anyone cutting in the woods that there is archaeology in every part and to familiarise themselves with it before they trip over it or fall down it.

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 21 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55817039

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 21 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of fe3+ in the photos

very nasty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive