Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
holes
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 21 12:03 am    Post subject: holes Reply with quote

umm

i might choose a different geology and location but in public can be very useful

the admission of costly is important, but this one is not asymmetric enough to stop the problematic problem, looks good for clay and sand though

very professional

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 21 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to hear that Swampy is still about.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 21 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan is a really nice chap

not exactly out at the mo as he and his lad are down the hole, i am a bit worried about them cos clay is a bit of a beast to be in the belly of, rock(with lots of extra concrete and random recycled metal in non-random ways) is more my thing.

in the current political climate they may well get time for "obstructing a sheriff's officer" as well, i cannot see a pta charge sticking, but there are a few that could be used

ps the successful ones have been "forgotten" , an amazing young woman became "tunnel queen" aged 16, kept 3 chaps alive and happyish even with a bout of gastric flu during their 40 days before they decided to emerge, it cost around £7 million to fail to evict them and the "men in black" used the cash to rescue folk from earthquake rubble

i have respect for the men in black, their leader on that one was the expert witness re "how did this spook get in the suitcase".
if you are in that situation develop a working relationship with them, they dont want to kill you, it would look bad among other things, and slow and safe costs the foe loads, ie discourages others from such things that make people risk life limb and liberty to prevent it.

win without fighting is best, even then at nine ladies we had a casualty rate from being there that was far higher by per head than being a grunt in iraq or afganistan, 2 very good friends, 2 comrades and a stranger+numerous assorted manglings etc
we won with a combo of direct, politics and checking the legal stuff
tis national trust land now.

bit of a ptsd touchy subject

pps i am out of any loops at the mo, i have left the cleanskin youngsters to get on with it, tis tempting to help if i could without compromising them by being me

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 21 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppps the chap from brays who was sneaky peeking was lucky to only get badly hurt and he managed his own meeting with gravity when greeted politely:twisted:

and he provided an opportunity for a couple of less experienced folk to do advanced field medic and extraction while 2 of us calmly finished breakfast
when he was later spotted sneaking at a festy he was rather embarrassed to be reminded of it

it aint all yogurt weaving in such situations, respect to the next gen.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 21 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally irresponsible,could well put others at risk to rescue these prats.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 21 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 21 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back off might be wise

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 21 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

litesp33d1
13m ago
8 9

Meanwhile the rats are starting to leave the ship before they find themselves on the end of lawsuits as Chairman of HS2 Ltd, Allan Cook CBE, has handed in his resignation to the Department for Transport.

btl but reliable

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 21 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
back off might be wise

I beg your pardon?

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 21 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i accept that , perhaps you have reread what i wrote

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 21 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand your point of view Ty Gwyn. You have worked in mining where people have to accept risks but work to minimise them, and these people putting themselves in danger deliberately goes very much against your ideas.

On the other hand, this form of civil disobedience has achieved the desired effect of giving publicity to the cause they are fighting for. Not the route I would take, but then I am more of a passive person. They feel very strongly about H2S (as I prefer to call it), and the destruction it is causing. It is purely a vanity project and to destroy ancient woodland (trees will be planted on other sites to compensate, but it isn't the same thing for several hundred years) among other things, to shave the time to get to Birmingham from London by 20 minutes, at great expense, is not really worth it. I think we have shown during this pandemic that travel to meetings is often unnecessary, so is it even going to be financially viable?

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 21 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have worked to protect , small, bits of the planet and take health and safety very seriously, the mission fails if you do not
we risk life limb and liberty, do not take lives(which might be a lot easier and safer)and accept the risks of being on a mission(the sad losses i mentioned were not tunnel casualties, we have never had one but due to the nature of the battlefield apart from one which may have been enemy action, a couple of times somebody tried to run me over so im not sure about george)

these things are not done lightly, the risks come with the mission, we accept them and protect fools who are not capable

see my comments above re how i feel about this and brave comrades who are among the fallen

and the letter i just mentioned in DIM

down a hole for pay for somebody's profit is very different

H2S is rather neat, tis a toxic project in many ways and will profit a few greatly for little gain to most
good work

if it would not put me or comrades at risk i could expand on these issues in ways that cannot be ignored or denied as valid

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 21 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the mo my known and unknown comrades are being evicted, not rescued, i hope all involved stay safe
dan is pretty good at H n S

ps we have never lost or killed anyone underground, unlike the fossil folk who have a dreadful record, i hope we can keep that 100% record

my chums and comrades were indirect accidents but location based( a fire, a drowning, a fall and a psychiatric meltdown, apart maybe the hit and run road squashing of george which may have been a moider

i left this for a bit to calm down

re H2S, if it was a proper high speed rail network such as in japan or on the mainland i would be in favour
this is a project of little use apart from enriching assorted cronies of those who have seized power
if the cash had been put into upgrading the existing infrastructure the time london to birmingham gain would be similar and a lot of other routes could have been brought into the 21stC
as it is the places that really need an upgrade will not get one but a lot of cash will end up in undeserving trousers

the coal mine at whitehaven needs close scrutiny, i had a quick look and do not approve

i did 10 years active service trying to protect little bits of our planet and won big style within the mission objectives

that came at quite a high price which is open to interpretation from several perspectives

sorry to be fierce, that is why i could do this stuff.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 21 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lock on is nasty

it is best if the limb is at the same level as your heart for a variety of physiological reasons, but that is not always possible

i wore a clip for about 6 months in case it was needed in a hurry, it was not.

respect comrades

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 21 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the sounds of it the eviction team are doing their best to prevent injuring the protesters. I wouldn't be surprised if they have built a reasonable relationship between some of them.

As far a coal mining is concerned, in the recent past safety has been of paramount importance in the UK, although in the past, as in all industries, men were perhaps thought of as been expendable. We still have a need for some coal in the UK, all be it fairly small amounts, and I would prefer it came from here than abroad. I don't know the rights and wrongs of the new colliery, whether it is needed, or if it is in the right place, but in many ways deep mining is better for the environment than open cast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive