Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Ground Source Heat Pumps...are they worth it?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 21 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

underfloor heating is tricky even in new build

to do it where you need to dig out, insulate, secure pipe and pour is a lot of expensive work

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 21 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
underfloor heating is tricky even in new build

It's not, as long as you know what you're doing. Also roobarb is going with rads.

It definitely needs careful evaluation, it's going to cost a lump so it needs to be specified correctly.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 21 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the outside energy collection side seems fairly easy, tis the how to use the heat that seems tricky

rads using preheated water seems plausible

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 21 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tahir,How much electricity do these ground and air source heat pumps need to run on if one does`nt have ones own solar panels?

I was once told by a rep trying to get me interested in an air source heat pump a figure twice what my electricity bill was.

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 21 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a gas boiler (calor) my brother has ASHP both our houses are passivhaus standard. His is a bit bigger than mine we spend about the same on heating

The big issue with them is that you really need a decent level of insulation to avoid huge peak demand

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 21 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the coldest temperatures like? I would suspect that they're not so cold that an air source heat pump won't be able to handle 95% of the heating needs. That could be where the wood stove comes in, with it's reduced role.
I would at least get a competitive quote, as I expect the cost of ground source would be more upfront than I would be interested in paying for what I imagine being not too much better performance than air source.

I know you're looking at air to water, but our air to air was less than $3k installed.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 21 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to criticise your decision Roobarb; that is up to you, but I have a feeling, perhaps ill founded, that particulates are the 'in thing' at the moment as we haven't been able to trace them in the human body until recently. We have also been living with fire for thousands of years, apparently with few ill effects. I would also point out that there are fewer particulates given off if a fire is going constantly than if the chimney gets cold and is used less frequently.

Slim, I am sure our winter temperatures are nothing like as low as yours, but ours is a damp cold. At present the night temperature here is about 5 deg C, so not cold at all by your standards, but it is damp if not raining, and with some wind chill.

We tend to heat our house in the same way. We have the fire going all the time, low during the day when we are not there, and no central heating, but all the doors are open, so any hot air goes round the house. At night, unless it is very cold, we shut the bedroom door to keep the room cooler. The central heating thermostat is in the study with various computer bits running, so it tends to be more of a secondary heating in some ways as it is set fairly low and in a room heated to some extent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive