Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
oh dear
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 21 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day i saw a French wood gas lorry,needing renovation mind,i though at first it was an ex army lorry as it had twin double axle`s on the back.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 21 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Before the doom of Beeching my neighbour purchased a hay loading machine in East Grinstead and had it delivered by train to Lampeter station.

as a small child i shared a train with cows

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 21 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
Ty Gwyn wrote:
Before the doom of Beeching my neighbour purchased a hay loading machine in East Grinstead and had it delivered by train to Lampeter station.

not in the same compartment
passengers at the front , moos at the back

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 21 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
dpack wrote:
Ty Gwyn wrote:

not in the same compartment
passengers at the front , moos at the back

for old style train transport the "family mystery"has a rail component

it was about 1950 when great grannie rhodda popped her button up boots. at the time she was living with my gran in yorkshire but was to be buried in parr in kernow
my gran and great aunt decide to take her by train there was a proper way to do that with a good packing case coffin put in the guard's van
they set off from denby dale to kernow, they came back and were rather reticent as to how it had all gone.
wind on 40 yrs or so and my cousin is trying to find the grave, not in parr, not in falmouth, nowhere to be found
my thought was they lost her during one of the changes of train

i dont think put luggage in the racks etc would allow for that, i spose if you put a tyre each end you could book em as a bicycle

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 21 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they wrapped the coffin and put her in the guards van. Parcel may have got mixed up with some other delivery, which must have been a nasty shock for whoever received it. Try looking in 'unclaimed bodies' seems a good start.

One of our customers told us his father moved his entire farm to this area by train. All went well until they unloaded the bull at this end. He was fed up with being confined and broke free, running down the road from the station, presumably with a few farm hands in pursuit. They did catch him, but these days they would have the police out with rifles to shoot the animal. In those days there was a livestock market in the square, so I expect it wasn't the first time it happened...or the last.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 21 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re gg i dought we will ever find out what happened, gran and her sister were a "little unusual"

they might have been doing a secret burial at gg's request, they might have just lost her

in some ways the latter seems the most plausible explanation, but the former is possible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive