Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
relaxing pollution enforcement, with fishy update
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 23 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarborough has decided to fight on loss of business grounds, do not go in the water, careful on the beach etc is not good for a town dependent on seaside holiday trades

it does not even have the "come and see the shark eat the bathers" appeal

bucket, spade, broad spectrum antibiotics is not ideal on the advertising posters

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 23 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited for legal liability

i did mention such a situation was among the objectives of the torykipper brexiteers

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 23 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does not even have the "come and see the shark eat the bathers" appeal

that is less dark than my opinion of those paid to allow pollution for profit

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 23 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brexit really delivering there

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 23 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible the new assessment will be an improvement, but the fact it is not currently up and running should mean we stick with the old one until it is. Agree the government is trying to back off their responsibilities and allow the sewage disposal companies free rein for a couple of years. The point about 'budget cuts' is the real killer as the assessments supposed to have been done often haven't been because the staff aren't available to carry them out.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 23 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible my breakfast bacon will grow wings and fly away before i can eat it

my confidence level is at highly implausible

these are the folk who have systematically failed on every "green" metric since 2010(and plenty of previous polluter profits form in previous incarnations of toraigh)

big fossil along with a massively wasteful, toxic and destructive consumer capitalist business model is one branch of those who they work for and prevent any meaningful regulation of, assorted others find ways to reward them for compliance and lucrative permissions/contracts etc with no control of damage from choice or incompetence, water is just one although it is a rather noticeable one even for the hard of noticing the destruction of assorted aquatic habitats and recreations they are accustomed to enjoying is difficult to miss

just for fun a more sensible way to do things

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 23 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the road to hell is paved with bad intent

the evidence is extensive

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 23 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unfortunate that the monarch has to make this speech which must stick in their craw sometimes. I can't see the King being very pleased about some of the rubbish he is going to be forced to come out with.

tahir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 23 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's disgraceful

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 23 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/nov/14/uk-to-loosen-post-brexit-chemical-regulations-further

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 23 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs fish, or insects? Brexit really has created a toxic environment

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 23 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having looked at the REACH regulations when they first came in with regard to charcoal, they were very bureaucratic and were way beyond the affordability of the UK artisan charcoal industry, which would have meant it ceased, leaving only less environmentally friendly imported charcoal. Fortunately, as charcoal is something that has been made in its present form for 1000s of years, it was decided that the industry didn't need to conform.

I started doing chemistry at a time when regulation was rather less rigid than today. We had a chemical in our cupboard at work that was labelled as 'harmful' in the early 1970s. My boss needed to use it to make up a small silver plating bath so contacted the suppliers and found out it was something like silver cyanide. The effects of lax regulation.

The objective of REACH was to ensure that new chemicals were characterised and understood as far as possible before large quantities were made, although the amount was about 1 ton I think. Overall, I think the REACH is a good idea, and I certainly don't agree with relaxing regulations, particularly as the reasons for doing so are the wrong reasons, probably decided upon by people who have no knowledge of chemistry. If we go away from Europe, it means that two sets of regulations have to be sorted out, leading to extra expense, and that lower levels of regulation and enforcement will lead to unscrupulous people taking advantage of what they can 'get away with'.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 23 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
If we go away from Europe, it means that two sets of regulations have to be sorted out, leading to extra expense, and that lower levels of regulation and enforcement will lead to unscrupulous people taking advantage of what they can 'get away with'.

Too true

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 23 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as the new SoS for environment is now Steve"i want my two dogs to enjoy nice landscapes"Barclay, and it is likely he has a rather narrow view of the "environment", things are unlikely to improve during the downfall bunker year of this government.

a year is a long time in the ecocide trade, sometimes it can be done in minutes if there are no controls to prevent it in place and enforced

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 23 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
a year is a long time in the ecocide trade, sometimes it can be done in minutes if there are no controls to prevent it in place and enforced

Also very true, this lot need to go ASAP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive