Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
constant home temperature
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 21 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little snow camping growing up (I think coldest was maybe 14 F in a snow shelter) but with matters concerning the house I prefer to maintain at least a ten degree F buffer above freezing! I have enough plumbing and cleanup to do as is.....

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 21 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pipes are a major concern in cold places, heating that can reliably keep an above freezing ambient indoors temp even if it is on auto for a few months saves having to drain all the pipes to go away for a winter holiday.

hot water in a heatwave without baking everyone in the house is the other extreme

what works needs to be able to cope with both in many places

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 21 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Slim. I thought I remembered you saying that, and it seems a far better way of using a heat pump than radiators. We use the fire in a similar way and it works quite well. As it goes all winter it has the added advantage that it does heat up the chimney, although that is well insulated, so that acts as a low temperature but long period radiator in the lounge and the bedroom above it.

Your temperatures sound reasonable for the house. Am I right in thinking that most people in the US prefer it rather warmer? I know my father was in Washington and feeling too warm and they turned on the heating in the hotel because other guests were feeling too cold.

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 21 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very personal and regional. Typically, older folks have a harder time feeling warm and keep thermostats set higher. Here in the north, most folks use 68 F as a daytime set point. I'd be lying if I said that I didn't love having a very warm dining room all winter.... In my younger days I struggled because I was trying to wear long underwear much of the cold months to make lower indoor temperatures make sense, but any trip to a public building would sweat me out.

I think down south thermostats are more likely to be kept to extremes. Winter temps don't usually get too low there, and they don't really seem to acclimate to seasonal temperature shifts the way we do up here (fight them instead). It seems the norm is often to ignore layering and instead to only move from climate controlled spaces to climate controlled cars to other climate controlled spaces.... But that's an overly broad brush, and I imagine there's still plenty who live closer to the way I'm used to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive