Recipes            
Latest Articles
Upping the power tool ante
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 21 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Machine Compatibility

Many chaps are not rated to protect against corded or cordless electric chainsaws. The Kevlar and Tek warp fibers in chainsaw chaps will break apart and clog the chain in the event of an accident, instantly bringing the chain to a halt by stopping the engine or disengaging the clutch. This will not work with electric-powered chainsaws because they use an electric motor instead of a gas-powered engine and do not use a clutch to engage the chain. Manufacturers of chainsaw chaps will not certify their products for use with electric chainsaws.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-chainsaw-chaps/

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that makes sense, oh well, the full Brazilian seems the way forward

flip flops, shorts and a torn football shirt seem to work with huge bars on beasty logging saws, so that will probably do ppe for a domestic leccy one

i spose chain mail or something to bounce the teeth away rather than trying to tangle them in kevlar is needed for these leccy ones

it would be safe but if it was padded for comfort and strong enough to work mail would give rather cumbersome ppe and crossing the stream to get to the next tree might get a bit medieval rout

climbing in chain mail never seems to feature in tales of knightly heroics, plenty of drownings and heat stroke though

i recon the sort of chain mail that is used by speed butchers would repel most chain blades, fitting enough of that to chainsaw ppe requirements and still being able to move and work might need some thought from the armourers

tangentially i wonder if non-newtonian gels would stop a leccy chainsaw from dismantling the operator, the harder it pushes the more solid they get etc

well spotted mr slim, this is a big issue for wood cutters, especially ones who like to trust safety equipment to at least help a bit when they are careless or unlucky, hint most folk will be careless or unlucky at some point

it would be interesting to find out what a leccy one says if it is suddenly introduced to a plastic hat with a mesh visor
from what you tell us i suspect it might be rather scary, petrol ones bounce off or get jammed with mesh and hat bits, these ones might chew in like a lamprey

thinking of bouncing the teeth off rather than tangling the saw, modern composites are quite strong and can be made into any shape

making solid skin, with articulation, ppe/armour to fit well enough to be practical is never going to be cheap
my size out of 3 sizes of thick trousers can be a reasonable price, a bespoke shell traditionally costs an estate's income for a few years

there will be a solution, but it is a classic example of "arms race", when the "weapon" changes the "armour" needs to change as well

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find anything else about it, but our Health and Safety Executive don't have anything about it, and they are very hot on that sort of thing.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hse has been gutted

they have problems with getting the basic stuff done, new potential safety issues are off the agenda until it hurts or kills enough folk for it to be noticed and usually far more are harmed before "it is being sorted"

sorted takes longer

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with relying on the fact that they stop spinning more rapidly than gas powered after you disengage the trigger is that you may already be well into flesh by the time you've managed to disengage the trigger.

I've not heard the same issue mentioned regarding helmet/face shield. I think that kind of kickback injury is maybe easier to deflect with something to bounce off of it, versus cutting down, but that's just an idle guess.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if that idle guess is correct, which seems reasonable, body ppe might be fairly plausible using bounce off and/or deflect

most ballistic and kinetic challenges can be mitigated with good ppe, tis a matter of understanding the problems and trying solutions until something works

for instance my chum re-created arch duke ferdinand's cardboard and silk body armour, tested it with the same sort of weapon and concluded if the assassin had been a better shot(centre of body mass) the duke would have been bruised rather than neck shot and the match to light ww1

if a light mesh and plastic hat seem to be ok, articulated plates for legs or even climbing full body kit might be possible to work in and safe ish

it has to be easy to work in, affordable in the context of leccy chainsaws which is a niche market at the mo, and do what it said on the tin to mitigate slips and errors

most folk with ice saws have little or no ppe, see the full Brazilian

Slim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A downcut with your body weight on top of it is very different than a kickback with the machine pivoting at your hands.

Also bar length may play a role in changing the dynamics of a kickback.

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 21 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i understand this, chewing in is the problem between ice and leccy behaviour, ice jams on fluff and leccy keeps chewing

prevent the chain grabbing owt soft or fluffy with a "carapace" seems worth a try

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 21 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At present in the UK I don't think electric chainsaws are that large. They are often used for tree surgery as they are lighter, and particularly in towns and cities, far quieter. I believe in London where tree surgery of street trees in particular is done at night or silly o'clock, petrol chainsaws aren't allowed. We use ours for light tree work, but not large enough for felling anything other than small trees, so use petrol chainsaw for that.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 21 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
If I needed a large number of tools and a decent battery I'd look at one of those 'battery' generator things.

On that note this popped into my inbox as they say.

£3000 is a bit out of reach but if they come down in price a tad it would solve quite a few problems such as powering a remote building, having a back up generator for the inevitable power cuts and being able to use all my existing corded tools rather than throwing them away.

https://www.festool.co.uk/products/mobile-power-supply/sys-powerstation/205722---sys-pst-1500-li-hp-gb240#Overview

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 21 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a similar capacity to two of our bike batteries with a variety of outputs.

probably a fair price, gulp.

a day of powering industrial strength tools is still quite a challenge for a battery pack

dpack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 21 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
if i understand this, chewing in is the problem between ice and leccy behaviour, ice jams on fluff and leccy keeps chewing

prevent the chain grabbing owt soft or fluffy with a "carapace" seems worth a try

creature feature

this sort of thing seems to work for the big fishy folk

not far from roman lorica segmentata in style

that might be ideal for either sort of chainsaw and could be practical to wear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive