Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
EV price parity
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 22 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps my ladder, my van

no one was hurt , the ladder and the front of a car did not do too well

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 22 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the speed restrictions on ebikes are to stop the selling of what are really mopeds or motorbikes in disguise because there is a useless pedal attached so technically it is a push bike. This keeps them as pedal machines with a boost rather electric machines with a pedal.

and locally that is how people use them. They cycle, but get a bit of a push uphill.

Slim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 22 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always nice to find the rare instances when our rules make more sense..
https://himiwaybike.com/blogs/news/ebike-speed-limit-in-the-us

I believe Nicky is correct that the speed governing is primarily to distinguish between electric bicycle and electric motorcycle with pedals

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 22 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 250 w is very adequate as is about 20 mph

giving it a full horse would be daft and scary

if i wanted to play with speed and horses i know folk who make rather special ice machines, feed the horse nitro is only the start of how daft those things can be for covering a short distance rather quickly
tt bikes are "enthusiastic" and little use on a road or byway( and i beat one from the pub to the flats on foot vs road in a 800m race)

i know them, i do not encourage them

750 on a cargo bike that needs to do hills seems about right, could a pack pony carry that load up that hill? that is the drive power needed

i have serious misgivings about electric scooters
we have hire ones round here
massive risk to the rider, most have not a clue about road sense being car drivers
they are not stable on lumpy or "soiled" surfaces

being car drivers on things that cannot manage slopes(we have a few even in york)they use roads, see road sense etc, or try driving in mixed use spaces in ways that are not ideal

the centre of gravity is very moody even with an average sized rider, they are not built for a gutterside "bike lane" on an A road, nor are bikes, i ride that as a road user(did i mention how poor bike lanes can be to ride in or on no matter how much propaganda has been splurted about creating them)

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 22 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some ways I can see the sense in controlling the speed, but an ordinary bicycle can go far faster than that, and they often do, with less efficient brakes, which can be interesting on some hills with bends or crossroads at the bottom.

We don't have hire e-scooters locally, but there are in the local city, and from the complaints in the paper they are not ridden in accordance with the requirements. The council are still continuing with them though. Round here it is more usual to find illegal private ones ridden by young idiots who have no sense and no road sense either. Sadly, the way they are going they will not live long enough to get a driving licence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive