Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
yvon chouinard, eco hero
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 22 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insider opinion from a global ecosystem academic

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 22 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim there are plenty of millionaires and billionaires that choose not to do the same, I'd much rather there were more wealthy people like Mr Chouinard

Slim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 22 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pointing this out is a bit like emailing your mp. Yes, he's doing better than some, but it should still be pointed out that he's using a process that shouldn't even exist. I prefer that he's using the money and power this way than for furthering the climate status quo, but it has to be framed within the context that this shouldn't be possible for anyone - at least at this scale - and that we cannot hope for individual philanthropists to fix problems that need large comprehensive solutions immediately, things that only government can do.

I prefer what he's done to what he's could have done, but it's dangerous to suggest that this a solution

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 22 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not a solution, I know, it's just better than the alternatives

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 22 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was not saying solution, but that much like gates and malaria etc i recon any resources given to make bad things better rather than the alternatives is ok and can be useful

the concentration of power, of which money is a sub category, is in general bad for most lifeforms.
there are a few folk who decide to redistribute what they have(often gained by mostly by good luck with a bit of effort at and genius for recruiting skilled staff after the first successes)

that power /money can be so concentrated for a few and lacking for most is wrong, most with the money and power will resist any threat to that, a few gain power or money and use it as though it was fairly shared, they are quite rare and should be encouraged

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive