About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
British White Cattle
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 23 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd coincidences, i decided to keep the 1880 ish lancet with a buffalo horn handle as a paper crafting tool

the horn is nice to work into a bookbinder's "bone" and the rogers blade is well held by the handle

the reason i mention that is multi use of moo parts and that there are horns and horns

the last bit may be relevant in choosing a breed or individual, if the points are low and forward when ready for an upward full on move, the beast may not be from the gentle end of bovines

huge and sideways or upward or back curled are less useful for murders

horns are not vital to most domestic cattle, budding seems wrong but there are un horny types to choose from, even on friendly ones big horns have loads of scope to be "untidy"

gz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 23 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Mistress Rose wrote:
There are several farms keeping buffalo in the UK but not sure what sort, although I think they are water buffalo. One used to sell buffalo burgers in Hampshire Farmers Markets, and there is one in Wiltshire or Dorset I think.

Romanian water buffalo are the usual type kept in the UK.

There is a herd as you come into Yeovil from Ilchester...sells ice cream from the farm

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 23 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=568044788667216&set=gm.10159465077609891&idorvanity=29929404890&__cft__[0]=AZWjIlIlVKPgZOc5qB4lyZTLlgH4SuahETgn6Q1LW3EHaLIi1YziHmPJttce1rWtCkX1uNqnVgt3-n-1V3SFkmvjn7Xrppgm7vKTmYU1ES03Y1-vfOmAt4N_STnRpQ0JwRmYxTFjKdsFRhzbXKEkbO3PtEZUR-JVQLQhO8-0xpXyL-JpAN6vVZlaB4IXtmK2_Ro&__tn__=EH-R

gz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 23 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link doesn't work... possibly a group you have to be a member of?

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 23 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click the post it takes its time but does come up,well it does for me.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 23 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gz, that must be where I have seen one of them. There must be another one in or very near the border of Hampshire as they wouldn't be allowed at the Farmers Market if too far away. Ty Gwyn, thanks, I don't know that much about buffalo, so interesting to know.

Old-Chads-Orchard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 23 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
tahir wrote:
There used to be someone on here that kept them, was he called Steve? I think he was keeping them semi wild. might be worth seraching

https://forum.downsizer.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1042 him?

interesting, a couple of miles away but the domain no longer works, found a few links to the address may call in, but he seems to have White Parks

Old-Chads-Orchard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 23 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the notification didn't work so missed the replies.

I am (was) used to dealing with Frisian/Limousin cattle in my youth, Limousin steers are a bit barking from experience, deffo want a calmer cow! Local friends have Highlands and have witnessed a few dead legs from friendly cattle not knowing where their horns are, natural polled is a plus. I am looking for smaller breeds as 1/2 the land I have is soft, won't get used in winter, but a good summer storm drenching takes a few days to drain and really softens the ground. Logistics wise we are starting from scratch (for the cattle), planning a couple of barns this year, 1 for winter housing, and will be built with a race/spot for a crush.

ttfn

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 23 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad you know what to expect, i was a bit worried that "it might be nice if....." for a spare field or whatever

long horned ones do require 360 vision and decent dodging skills, especially at breakfast time
they are more friendly than many though, highlands can be quite big, but they do not seem to churn land or sink like many breeds of similar size
they are not fussy eaters, fresh nettles anyone

beltie would be too big

natural polled dexters do seem about right
good points------------------------bad points
some have no or minimal points--(some look and act like fighting bulls)
light and easy on soil------------(small so 2 times pop and chop, 2x vets fees 2x etc per kilo of beef)
ace beef that could be sold at a premium---(steers will be rare and expensive unless you breed your own)

if you are starting from new, whatever sort you choose (or find suitable and available) perhaps a few youngish girls with calf at heel would be a place to start and add a few fattening cattle for turnover until you have a herd and discovered how the land and management regime work with different types?

back to what works locally in a similar regime and soilscape

you will find em, have fun.

dpack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 23 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps with dexters the achondroplasic gene needs attention

short and compact is ok for some places, long is ok in some places, together they are fine

this is the normal for the countryside bit
short bull x short cow = something nasty in a bag if it gets to third trimester

i have seen some things i cannot unsee , short+short= is best left in the world of HP Lovecraft

avoid it, horrible for moo and human is a kindly way to explain

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 23 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
ps with dexters the achondroplasic gene needs attention

short and compact is ok for some places, long is ok in some places, together they are fine

this is the normal for the countryside bit
short bull x short cow = something nasty in a bag if it gets to third trimester

i have seen some things i cannot unsee , short+short= is best left in the world of HP Lovecraft

avoid it, horrible for moo and human is a kindly way to explain

Yep, "bulldog syndrome".
You'll see dexters advertised as either "shortlegged" or "non short" (you can't say long-legged apparently).

The short-legged gene is dominant, but 2 short legged versions of the gene make a non-survivable mess.

I would try and visit some dexters if you can, they are bright and naughty, can be charming if you get on with them.

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 23 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew some Dexters that had been trained to pull an ard, an early type of plough. They were very well behaved. I thought they were short legged .

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 23 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the long leg ones are still rather short

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 23 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was about 40 years ago, so not too sure. I may have a picture of them somewhere, so will try to have a look.

dpack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 23 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

short, pug
not short , toy poodle

neither are able to see over a snoozing labrador, or round it in many cases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive