About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Cheap deer exclusion?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did raise that, he said there are population imbalances, and indiicated that I definitely have a big enough population to need to control it.

cab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Jugged hare, hare soup, roast saddle of hare, hare with wild mushrooms, hare with dark chocolate and pasta... Controlling hares sounds tasty.

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So have you got any plans? I meant to mention actually that Surrey county council has a pest control page on its website that includes contact details (I think) for a number of insured, trained, but not council employed, "pest controllers" of various types, from rats up to deer I think. I don't suppose you'll have any trouble finding someone if you don't want to do it yourself but I thought I would mention it.

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Hmmm... Jugged hare, hare soup, roast saddle of hare, hare with wild mushrooms, hare with dark chocolate and pasta... Controlling hares sounds tasty.

Well I have no shooting experience so I'm in no position to start eating hare, yet...

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know, over here in the Kingdom of Veggie-Crankland, I always think hare sounds much more appealing to eat than rabbit. Odd. Although hares are that bit uglier and don't sit around with sunlight streaming poetically through their ears

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I don't suppose you'll have any trouble finding someone if you don't want to do it yourself but I thought I would mention it.

The FC guy has contacts that I can call on if necessary

judith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Do you know, over here in the Kingdom of Veggie-Crankland, I always think hare sounds much more appealing to eat than rabbit.

It is here in Confirmed Carnivoreland too!

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on a trees list just told me about these, I won't be using them but I wondered if anyone's seen them:

https://www.wirelessdeerfence.com/wdf/index.html

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does peeing round the borders of your land actually help, or does it just encourage the wildlife to join in?

tahir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're talking around 3000m Sally, I'd have to do a deal with the local boozers, see if they'll collect enough for me

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh 'eck, the curse of the vivid imagination just came to get me! Ewww

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 06 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hare are special as critters and great as food . when there are loads i cant resist the odd one as a pot roast or smoked biltong .much better than bunny . i have not seen one here for years , silage not hay ,if you have loads you are lucky . balance the numbers , a great resouce , better than my mice in the over winter beans , i know i could eat mickey and his pals but i dont fancy it . maybe eat some and feed some in the winter so as they dont bark the trees . they are quite big critters but 1 m tubes should keep them off small trees . bigger trees may need custom guards . a lurcher would do the job or a head shot 12 ft pound air weapon 30 metres max, or head shot .22 or above . fac weapon . snares are difficult and ethically dubious and bad for tom tiddles . i have this funny feeling to be legal you need a game licence but i may be wrong . they are not vermin like bunnies and greys ,and i was called a bunny hugger i obviously wasnt making my self clear if you have a chat with the shooters , job done i reckon .or the next few months are a chance to practice stalking skills ,30 m is very close from a hares point of view .dont let it know . thank it . head shot , then bleed it out . seems ethical to me .

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 06 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard from a falconer that wants to help me with my hare control

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 06 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:

You could just get a beard trimmer.

If Nugs and I ever get invited we'd love to see the falconer working and I'd love a hare (of the wild animal kind).

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 06 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
tahir wrote:

You could just get a beard trimmer.

If Nugs and I ever get invited we'd love to see the falconer working and I'd love a hare (of the wild animal kind).

How's Bugs going to feel if you go off to visit Tahir and take someone else with you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Land Management All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive