Recipes            
Latest Articles
Rat Control
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenG wrote:
can I just say it NOT illegal to kill rats with dogs, I understand that there has been some confusion about this

A well trained dog would seem to be one of the best ways.

Do you need to take any special care of a ratting dog? Extra vacinations etc and do they ever get injured?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deerstalker wrote:
Are they more successful than humans? There are more of them than us, and always will be!

At least you know where you are with a rat, better than some neighbours we have.

While I was digging up the main link I can across some investigation into rats and plague. Apparently if there is ever another large brake out of plague culling large numbers of rats will make matters worse! The fleas that carry the plague would all have to find new hosts and humans are top of their list.

Tristan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a friend who breeds cairns, her vet reckoned that if the dogs are reared where there are rats about, they'll develop a better resistance of their own to leptospirosis etc. than if they are vaccinated, and for puppies the dam provides her own antibodies in the milk. Guess it's best to get farm bred terriers.

Tristan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a slight rat problem and all that we did was find the run, we did this by clearing up the garden, getting rid of the leaves off the ground for example.But we didn't interfer with the nest , we had noticed that they were after the food in the chicken house ( we allways put the feeders away when we lock the birds in at night ) and we had them in the green house. So we just got those big spring traps, i wont use poison, and put one in the chicken house and one in the greenhouse. That way nothing else could get caught, and after a week of catching one or two a night we have now gone for 3 weeks and haven't caught anything.
So we have either cured the problem or they wont go near the traps !
Happy new year
Andy B

DarrenG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
DarrenG wrote:
can I just say it NOT illegal to kill rats with dogs, I understand that there has been some confusion about this

A well trained dog would seem to be one of the best ways.

Do you need to take any special care of a ratting dog? Extra vacinations etc and do they ever get injured?

they must be cleaned up afterwards, and if they get several bites just give them a penicillin injection, strepto only costs about £7 a bottle .

Marigold123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 05 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a cat once who was taught to catch rats by the local toms. Apparently, cats chase and catch mice instinctively; the way a mouse moves stimulates a cat to pounce, but rats are more likely to walk or waddle than scurry, and so cats have to be taught to catch them by other cats, usually their mother. That's one of the reasons why a good ratter's kittens used to be prized above those of other cats.

We had two cats at the time, and the rat-catching one was forever bringing in live rats. We used to hear him early in the morning, yowling in a strange deep voice, with his jaws full of rat. We would run downstairs to try and stop him coming through the catflap, but a few did used to come in, and this was a bit of a problem for a while.

We assumed that he was bringing them in as presents, but eventually, one day, after months of this, we found the non-rat-catching cat with a dead one. We congratulated her on learning to catch rats, and that was the very last time either of them ever brought a rat into the house, alive or dead. We eventually realised that Tom had been bringing the live ones back for the other cat to practice on! Once she had learnt how to do it, he stopped bringing them in.

Rob R

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 05 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to stop rats is not to give them anything to feed off, then they won't stay long at all. Keeping any feed stores vermin proof is the easiest way (the simplest of which may be just putting any foodstuffs inside plastic or metal dustbins). It's not always possible to remove all rodent attractions, but vermin are much easier to control if you minimise the favourable conditions.

Where you want to keep pests away from certain areas, there are ultrasound/electromagnetic pest deterents. We've just bought one after hearing about it from another member of the family- and he swears by it: PestClear Anyone else tried them?

organic john

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 05 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i got one of those and for some reason it didnt work on ether seting i supose if rats are hungry they will keep coming ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Poultry All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive