Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 05 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Treacodactyl wrote:
You'll get strange urges

I don't need any more strange urges, got three kids already

That's why you need a few tools. Nothing like 12 hours of rebuilding your house to stop that sort of thing.

High Green Farm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 05 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
The one I have is here:

https://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=7920141&entryFlag=false&PRODID=192046&paintCatId=

As the result of a little accident I've got the one above this in the range at B&Q.

I borrowed my brother in laws saw, and then managed to drop it off the back of my workbench. Unfortunately part of the metal work sheared off to make it impossible to use without manually raising the protective cover....a little unsafe.

So first thing I did (after a lot of swearing and cursing) was to buy my b.i.l. a new one. Then thought I would try to get the other one repaired, so again off to B&Q where I told them the whole story. Very helpful B&Q staff suggested I bring it in, but don't mention the bit about dropping it! So I did, and now am the proud owner of great big brand new mitre saw.

Apparently it is cheaper to offer no quibble replacement than to offer a repairs service!

I couldn't be happier!

Bernie66

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 05 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a B&Q manager i can confirm, without necessarily agreeing with, the statement that it is more economically viable to throw faulty goods in the skip than repair them. For example we churn out a 4.5 inch grinder for less than £15.00 so would have to pay buttons to be bothered repairing them. However i must also raise the issue of the few who treat the stores as hire shops and will purchase a power tool i.e. a chainsaw for a one off job and return it later stating that it was either faulty or not up to the job etc............quite frustrating at times-breaks up the weekend though!

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 05 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bernie66, it'll good to get comment from the other side of the shop floor. Having worked behind a refund desk in another DIY store I've seen a fair number of dodgy refunds.

I am amazed at some the prices in for some of the offers. A cordless drill that came with two batteries which was cheaper than a single replacement surprised me.

Gertie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 05 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goes to show we do live in a throw away society. There again I can talk, I remember when my granny would repair socks and our grandads would repair their boots themselves, or take them to the cobbler.

Don't know why but ithat memory reminds me a bit about Trigger in 'Only Fools and Horses - when he's on about his sweeping brush lasting years, given the fact it had umpteen new heads and handles fitted (What the hell am I thinking about that at 07.15 a.m. on a Saturday!!!!!!!).

ps Beernie66 I think my hubby should get discount for your company and I should seek compensation for the amount of hours I've had to endure looking at power tools (he's addicted to the bloomin' things!) there.

Bernie66

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 05 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to enjoy spending hours walking round B&Q before I started working there;the reason for cheaper prices for the "packs" compared with the "extra battery" is due to the quantity that B&Q buy from the suppliers (usually Nutool I believe) If we order 50000 drill packs then we can negociate a better price than if we order 500(of the spare batteries). Sometimes at least the big "buy in bulk pile it high sell it cheap" outlets have their advantages for the consumer despite the lack of personality

High Green Farm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 05 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you wouldn't class me as one of the "treat B&Q as a hire shop" brigade! I was surprised at the advice I was given, and wouldn't have dreamt of taking it back under warranty if I hadn't received that advice!

Bernie66

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 05 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course not - was merely commenting on the general public from the eyes of someone in retail! I usually tend to take the attitude that even if we are too lenient sometimes at the refund desk with a non-genuine "returner" then it is better than being unfair with a genuine one -customer service and all that

High Green Farm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 05 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.....can't be easy to spot the ones trying it on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive