links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Learning to knit recommendations
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 11:49 am    Post subject: Learning to knit recommendations Reply with quote

I'll start you off with a couple, then get my question in.

I've just completed (though yet to put together) a pair of mittens, with some unexpected lace effects which weren't on the pattern but which I feel really add to the finished work. Some might say they are dropped stitches but they'd be quite, quite wrong.

OH's mum gave me the pattern as I was looking for something that I could complete quickly but that wasn't a scarf - I can recommend these for a project to new knitters as they were interesting to do but not too complicated, and you get something useful out of it.

My other recommendations are two books with instructions for beginners - Debbie Bliss - How to Knit and
Zoe Mellor - Easy Knits

I wound up using both of them because I couldn't quite work out some things in Debbie Bliss. However, if you only want to buy one I'd start with her - you're probably not so clumsy as me, and even if you need to buy a simpler book I think it makes a good reference as it goes much further with different stitches etc.

Anybody else like to suggest some resources, projects etc that they've found useful, or ask any questions in case somebody more experienced can help?

Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some questions...

1 - The stitching together of the mittens isn't going tremendously well even with both sets of books in front of me ! Any tips, or is it just a matter of practice? They're coming together but look a bit clumsy.

2 - What would be a nice second project? I'd like to stick to practical things, not wild about doing it for children. Would a simple (one colour) jumper be too ambitious and if not, what should I look for?

3 - Where should I look for decent prices on wool and more equipment? There's a local shop which is prepared to get stuff in for me, but only orders on an 8 week cycle. Is there a good mail order place and do I have to use the exact wool specified in a pattern?

I've got other questions too but don't want to overload my own thread!

culpepper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 04 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you make up your garments try safety pinning them together first so you get the edges even all round.
When finishing off kneck openings,use chainstitch to sew the ribbing down as it is stretchy.Otherwise the opening will be too tight to get over your head.
I use the old hardbacked odhams knitting books often found in charity shops.They have excellent knitting instructions,they never assume you know how to do anything first.
I've knitted socks and gloves from mine with grafted toes and fingers.
Most patterns will give you the weight of wool (or ply), eg.if it says double knitting,most DK will do but you can always knit a tension square first.If the stitches are too big,go down a needle size,if too small,go up a neddle size.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at what you really want to knit, and see what stitch you don't know how to do. Ask if you need to find out. Practice it, then have a go. You will enjoy the project more if it is something you really want, even if it is a small item, not a coat.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 05 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making up a knitted garment can be the make or break of it, I'm afraid; however, the only way to get to grips with it is to practice - the more you knit, the more you should have to make up. Practice is the only way, and one day it will all fall into place.
The library can be a good source of isnpiration for books; you can request them as well, ofcourse, if you've seen one but don;t want to lay out a lot of money for something that may not be suitable. Other excellent sources of books and patterns are charity shops and jumble sales, and there is some wonderful stuff available on e-bay - yarn, needles, books, patterns, wool winders, the lot, usually for reasonable prices too. I've had a lot of very nice stuff off e-bay, and sold a lot there too!
If you want to practice tension and stitch types, you could try dishcloths - knitted with DK cotton. Practice which will turn out something useful, or in a similar vein, a pot holder. When my aunt died last year, my cousin returned to ma apot holder I had made when I was 9 (34 years ago); it had been in daily use all that time, and is still usable now!
If you do a Google search for hand knitting (specify hand knitting), free knitting patterns, dishcloth patterns, etc, it will throw up some absolutely wonderful sites,a lot of them American, but very enthusiastic and inspirational - lots of free patterns to print off, general kniiting talk and the like. It'a whole new knitting world....................

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of your mitten pattern? or is it too long to post. I did manage a sisal wash mitt over christmas, although it was far from perfect, my mum (who taught me to knit, and knitted about half of it anyway) has it, and it will do the job.

She doesn't reccomend it for beginners, as its stiff to knit with - I can only do a little at a time. I've never knitted with anything else, so hopefully it will be a nice change when I do.

Are baby knits easy, or are they fiddly? There is a new addition to the family, and I'd like to make her something, as it would be quite small. I might just do little squares and then sew them together for a pathwork-type quilt.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got given Learn to Knit by Penny Hill by my mum. It is a basics book but with some nice looking projects. There is a baby hat that I have knitted before that is very easy and then the bit I'm going to have a go at ; there are patterns for easy cushion covers but its using different stitch combinations as a practise. I've just got to find an on-line wool shop. I've googled some but does anyone have any recommendations. I need Jaeger and Debbie Bliss wool according to this book!.

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Culpepper, Alison and Sarah D for all the advice - I'll be following it and let you know if I progress .

I got impatient so I'd already done my stitching up and have worn them twice already (they'll mainly be doing dog walking duty though ). The other problem is I'm no good at sewing...wouldn't know a chain stitch if you tied me up with one. But it sounds like practise makes, if not perfect, then acceptable, and I must say the second mitten looks much less five-year-old than the second.

WW...I daren't try and copy out the pattern because I'll probably muck up an instruction and leave you knitting 4ft long mittens (dance mittens as Treacodactyl suggested ) but I'll see if I can't scan it and email it to you, or if you prefer make a copy if you'll pm me your address - that way you'll have pics too, and the same one has some hats on it too. I've borrowed a Debbie Bliss baby book from the library - rather ambitiously thinking of trying something for a new niece/nephew due in January. There's a very nice hooded blanket which looks not too hard - pity it isn't in my size actually

And I'd like to hear about online or mail order suppliers too - I've looked at the suppliers listing on the Debbie Bliss site but most prices seem to be the same so I wouldn't know which to pick. Pathological fear of ebay means I probably won't be starting there

wellington womble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of elbow legnth mittens! Very elegant. I'll pop into the library tommorow and see what they've got in the way of baby knits (I suppose that means deciphering a pattern. Gulp!)

Know what you mean about ebay (although we actually found our car on it!) I never buy anything off there either, but luckily have a good locaish knitting shop, who deserve support and offer knitting classes. Now there's a thought..... (which means I've technically broken my new years resolution already. Sigh.)

Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I forgot I spotted a knitting shop in the nearby town...they seem to have just moved to new premises so it sounds promising, although I find the Sunday afternoon knitting circle a bit sinister

And here's a picture of my amazing handiwork...the benefit of an out of date digicam is they look a lot better like this

Sarah D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to start a weekly knitting group here in the Balckmore Vale at the end of Dorset, if anyone is in the area when it's on, hopefully weekly, you would be more than welcome.
Readicut are quite good for wool, I don't know if they do online, though. I tend now to pick mine up from e-bay , charity shops and car boots, tip, etc.
If there's something specific you want, let me know, I probably have it in the black hole I euphamistically call my cupboard............................... if I have something you could use you would be welcome to it.
There are lots of vere easy baby patterns on the net to print off, if you do a Google search; some of them are American - if you get confused with wool typo/needle sie, just ask, although there are lots of conversion sites around as well.

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was away over new year, I knitted one of those hats with a fair isle pattern, and ear flaps. I am going to get some lining material, proberbly fleece, and make a lining, for added warmth and then blanket stitch around the edge.

Sarah D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant go with the mittens, bugs........... they're excellent.

So what's next, then?

hardworkinghippy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 05 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good socks are always really appreciated if you work outside in the cold or the heat.

I hate using acrylic normally, but I always put either that or a really tightly spun cotton in the toe and heel to make them long-lasting.

HWH[/img]

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 05 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do rather fancy making some socks, HWH..aren't they pretty hard though? Yours look great but I'm afraid they'd be a bit of a challenge for my thumb-ridden paws. I was saying the other day that in wellies in the garden my feet get absolutely f-f-f-f-freezing even when I resort to two pairs of normal socks and some fluffy sports socks.

And cheers for the encouragement Sarah - lucky I didn't inlcude a close up of the first mitten's finishing (you can just about see the 90 degree angle on the bottom one )...I'm not sure what's next but I'll keep you posted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive