Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
AdventureGirl

'Green' paints - any experience

Hi

Has anyone used any of the environmentally friendly paints out there?

We have 40 square metres or so of walls to paint in our kitchen/dining/living room. With 2 kids and a dog we really need something that will cope with being washed down regularly in places and scrubbed occasionally.

We have been looking at the relatively new Self-Coat paint, but the fact that you need to do a base coat and then 2 top coats is putting us off. Painting the whole lot twice is more than enough.

So, any paints you can recommend, or tell me to avoid?

Hoping for the usual fantastic advice!

Cheers
MarkS

depends what they mean when they say 'environmentally friendly'?

I hear good things about the clay paints from earthborn but I've not used them.

distemer and limewash are fairly eco friendly -esp if you make your own.

(dont worry - now that i've replied, at least three people will give you a proper answer)
dottyspots

Has anyone got any further suggestions on this as we have the same problem - a house covered in sticky handprints Smile
Helen_A

We used a plain white from http://www.ecospaints.com/ in the last house. Mainly because we just painted over anything scrophulous, pen marks etc....

hmmm - still trying to find a match for the magnolia that this landlord used, cos its either do that and repaint or lose a huge chunk of the deposit thanks to ds and an ink pen on sunday am... (sometime between 3 and 5am )

Helen_A
dottyspots

Hi Helen (waving)

I'll have a look - it would be good to try to cover it with something that doesn't have us all choking Smile

I've find a collection of spirals in wax crayon in a corner of the dining area - lucky on tiles so easy enough to deal with, however, we have a collection of pen marks on various parts of the wall.
Helen_A

ey'up lass Cool

Wax crayon is *so* easy to get rid of Smile Just takes a going over with wd40 and the JML microsponge stuff followed by sainsburies basics baby wipes to clean off the oily stuff. If its the lovely expensive natural crayon then just the sponge will do it, as will vinegar in a spray bottle or hot water on a microfibre cloth Smile (a whole box of those was the cause of my finding that out Embarassed )

Pen is less easy... hence we have to paint over this (basically its all the wall up to toddler height and then some (cos he found a step) all the way up the stairs. It has to have taken him *hours*... Rolling Eyes

Helen_A
Sarah D

I think it was Nutshell paints we had a bad experience with. Very bad coverage, when you could get it on the wall, and quite unpleasant staff when we complained about the quality.
dottyspots

Helen_A wrote:
ey'up lass Cool

Wax crayon is *so* easy to get rid of Smile Just takes a going over with wd40 and the JML microsponge stuff followed by sainsburies basics baby wipes to clean off the oily stuff. If its the lovely expensive natural crayon then just the sponge will do it, as will vinegar in a spray bottle or hot water on a microfibre cloth Smile (a whole box of those was the cause of my finding that out Embarassed )

Pen is less easy... hence we have to paint over this (basically its all the wall up to toddler height and then some (cos he found a step) all the way up the stairs. It has to have taken him *hours*... Rolling Eyes

Helen_A

Yep, no problem with wax crayons (and yes, of course she used the lovely Stockmar beeswax ones) - it is pen that's the menace. I've heard babywipes will get it off leather sofas, but I don't use babywipes, so can't comment on that (not least because if it does shift pen, what on earth does it do to a baby's bum?) Pretty much cloth everything here - although I do draw the line at using it instead of loo roll (although I have come across people who don't use that either).

I'm wondering whether some sort of white spirits might shift it? But then I suppose it would also shift the paint Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the comments re. the nutshell paints too Sarah Smile
Helen_A

Don't use the babywipes for the children at all!!!!!

(buy the very occasional packet for cleaning things off walls)

Have occasionally managed to shift felt tip with micro sponge, but yes the paint does go then as well...

Helen_A
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home