Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
zigs

just a reminder, & for those of you too young to remember, 1976 was one of the driest summers on records, water supplies were reduced to standpipes in some areas.

everyone thought the wild mushroom harvest would be bad, but when the rains came in september, the ground just erupted with them.

with this dry weather, might be worth getting your mushroom preserving skills honed by experimenting with some shop bought mushrooms.

when i worked on a mushroom farm, my 1st attempt at preserving them were a disaster.

heres a recipe for pickled mushrooms from the trusty W.I.

500g young mushrooms
1 small onion or shallot
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch o black pepper
spiced vinegar

wash mushrooms & trim stalks but don't peel.
quarter any large ones
peel & slice onion & place in saucepan with mushrooms, saltginger & pepper. barely cover with vinegar, cover with tight fitting lid & cook slowly till mushrooms are tender- about 45mins( mushrooms will shrink during this process) lift out mushrooms with perforated spoon & pack into hot jars. cover with the strained hot vinegar. cover at once. ready for use in 4 weeks.

i would think about adding a few slices of truffle to that i think.

anyone got recipe for preserving in oil ?
tahir

In 1976 I used to work on a clothes stall In petticoat lane market, damn we sold some vests that year.
Treacodactyl

It was similar a few years back. Bugs and I had booked in on an organised foray and it had to be canceled as it had been very dry and was still dry. When the rains did come we had the chance to go on a rearranged date and found a very decent haul.
Stewy

The year I was born Very Happy
dpack

air dried with a cold fan works .
duxelle freezes (cook shrooms gently in their own juices )
vacuum dryers are ace .
zigs

told you so Wink

been busy at work, but still had some good puffballs.

in answer to my own question, i have cracked the oil preserving thing.

boil the sliced mushrooms in vinegar & water for 8 minutes, drain & then cover in spiced olive oil.

its working so far Smile
Rosa

I remember it well----- Cool
Tavascarow

I left school in 76 & spent the summer helping my dad on the farm.
Christ did I have a tan.
Very Happy
Rosa

---- it was a very good year----
bingo

I was only 6 months old.
Blacksmith

I was in the second year of my apprenticeship, we HAD to keep our boiler-suit done up all the time as well as wearing safety hats.... had hair in those days !
Northern_Lad

Blacksmith's stock response for the mention of 1976 wrote:
I was in the second year of my apprenticeship, we HAD to keep our boiler-suit done up all the time as well as wearing safety hats.... had hair in those days !

I wonder how many times that's appered on this site now. Wink Laughing
jp

Also just left school - spent the whole summer on the beach. It was the only year I remember that seawater round the British Isles was genuinely warm... Cool
Don't know what the shroom crop was like - was'nt into them at the time.
tigger

jp wrote:
Also just left school - spent the whole summer on the beach. It was the only year I remember that seawater round the British Isles was genuinely warm... Cool

Oh yes! while we were at school some mums went swimming and got stung by jellyfish!!
doctoral

I was starting work at 6:30 in the morning and working through to 2:30 pm when all the guys in the lab went for a swim at the local hotel pool - what a year!
jp

Quote:
Oh yes! while we were at school some mums went swimming and got stung by jellyfish!!

Ouch - something to look forward to with global warming? (more jellyfish) Sad ... but bigger shroom crops too?... Smile

Quote:
I was starting work at 6:30 in the morning and working through to 2:30 pm when all the guys in the lab went for a swim at the local hotel pool - what a year!

Cool Cool Very Happy Very Happy Yeah!
hedgehogpie

We were youth hostelling down to & across the south downs (in the blistering heat!!! Rolling Eyes ).
Cathryn

I was on holiday on Sark - lovely and I want to go again but there was hardly any water at all on the island Surprised Bet if I ever go againthere will be floods Very Happy
Zarza

1976... I don't remember anything... too young.

Quote:

I got about fifty lashes once in the Canaries surrounded by thousands of jellyfishes. I was in a reef snorkeling with a friend, and the bastards snuck through one of the three entrances to the lagoon.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home