Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
sgt.colon

A new HFW starts this month

Here is the 411.

Quote:
IT'S COMING! The new series of River Cottage is on it's way, and Hugh's taking a radical new perspective on cooking. Hes recognised a simple pattern that underpins so many well-loved dishes that they are little more or less than three good things on a plate. Now, in a brand new series, hes going to pursue that idea, experimenting with different flavours and textures. But hes going to put himself and others to the test by taking part each day in a competition with two other amazing chefs to decide whose combination works best. One chef will be from Hughs own stable of award-winning River Cottage chefs. The other will be a top-notch guest, whos bound to give Hugh a run for his money. Hes going to be tested as never before! Each week will be devoted to a particular type of food vegetables, meat, fruit, fish and finally grains and pulses and each week a guest judge with particular expertise in that area will arrive to test the results and pick a winner. We'll email you the exact date and time when we have it, so you won't miss a thing.
12Bore

That's why there was a new book on the supermarket shelf yesterday! Laughing
sgt.colon

Laughing Oh you cynical bugger Razz Yep Very Happy
Bodger

Yup. Sounds like more of the same being served up. Laughing and his next, next book will be even more radical than the previous one, starting with pulses and finishing with vegetables. Rolling Eyes
12Bore

Laughing Oh you cynical bugger Razz Yep Very Happy

Damn, I thought I hid it so well! Laughing Laughing
robkb

That's why there was a new book on the supermarket shelf yesterday! Laughing

Currently 9.99 from The Book People.

ETA - it's just been delivered, and a quick flick suggests there are a lot of rather nice recipes to try.
robkb

More guff from RC media pixies about the new series:

"Hugh's latest book, Hugh's Three Good Things, has of course hit the shelves. The exciting news is that the TV series, with the same title, gets underway next Monday (5 November) and will be on More4 each weekday. What's more if you miss a single episode you can catch-up with the Sunday afternoon omnibus on Channel 4. So that's Hugh and River Cottage, six days a week for five weeks, and it goes without saying that there'll be plenty of fantastic, mouth-watering, seasonal cookery."

Unhelpfully they don't give a time, but it seems to be 7.30pm.
AnnaD

The whole celebrity chef part put my off the idea of watching it. robkb

It sounds quite depressing imho - all the stuff that used to make RC interesting has been dumped, and it's become just another cookery programme.

Frankly if all I want is cooking I'll watch Nigella or Nigel Slater. who both make me drool (not necessarily for the same reasons... Wink )
OtleyLad

The only result of all these 'celebrity' chefs telling us night after night how to cook perfect, cheap, nutritious, tasty, guilt-free, quick meals is that more and more of us are buying ready cooked microwaveable junk - so we can cook it quick and eat it in front of the telly Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes robkb

You mean... you can't mean... all those people buying Nigella's books aren't actually cooking from them? Surprised Surprised Surprised (faints) Jamanda

The only result of all these 'celebrity' chefs telling us night after night how to cook perfect, cheap, nutritious, tasty, guilt-free, quick meals is that more and more of us are buying ready cooked microwaveable junk - so we can cook it quick and eat it in front of the telly Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I'm not so sure. I don't actually watch any of the programmes, but I will look on Nigella Lawson's website if I want a new cake recipe as I find them very reliable. We've got a number of well used Nigel Slater books too.
Ty Gwyn

Nigella is a Goddess,ain`t bad at cooking to,lol.

Hugh has had his time,he`s just boring now,people are getting wise to his bulls--t.
sgt.colon

It sounds quite depressing imho - all the stuff that used to make RC interesting has been dumped, and it's become just another cookery programme.

I have to agree with you there Rob. I'll probably not even bother.

Quote:
Frankly if all I want is cooking I'll watch Nigella or Nigel Slater. who both make me drool (not necessarily for the same reasons... Wink )

You tart. Very Happy
robkb

Quote:

You tart. Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Mmm, tart...
robkb

Well, having watched it last night all I can say is if it's on, and I remember, and I'm not busy, I'll watch it. But it's too meh to make a special effort 5 nights a week for the next 5 weeks. sgt.colon

I didn't even both, Rob. It came to mind and then left as quickly as it came. robkb

I watched out of residual loyalty - after all it was HFW that got me started on this veg-growing malarkey. Oh well... Barefoot Andrew

Completely forgot about it. Will visit 4od at some point.
A.
12Bore

Recorded it, will watch it at some point. sgt.colon

I watched out of residual loyalty - after all it was HFW that got me started on this veg-growing malarkey. Oh well...

Now you're making me feel bad. Sad I may have to follow BA to 4OD.
robkb

Completely forgot about it. Will visit 4od at some point.
A.

It's not exactly high-profile. It's tucked away on More4, and I don't think I've seen a single advert for it.
Lorrainelovesplants

Didnt bother.

Like many smallholding mags, Ive outgrown him (them).
robkb

After planting garlic yesterday I sat down with a big mug of tea to watch some of the omnibus edition...

It's the same programme every chuffing day - three chefs cook a dish each and then an 'expert' comes in to judge whose dish is best.

And this is on 5 nights a week for 5 weeks. Can somebody please explain the concept of 'overkill' to Hugh...
sgt.colon

I've still not watched any yet. It's just sound like a right bag of <the following comments have been move to the naughty corner. Thanks admin>
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home