Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
bingo

A place to find pied mutton and winter Chanterelle.

JP, Doctoral you both live reasonable near this place. If your interested I can point you in the direction of pied mutton and winter Chanterelles and plenty of them. I went there yesterday and came away with enough. I don't mind telling you where as long as you don't tell everybody.
I took some photo's yesterday and will post them in the week, I've got a hangover today and can't be doing technical stuff.
If you want to know this place I could proberly meet you there this Sat morning.......EARLY. If not i'll just tell you where they are.
cab

Re: A place to find pied mutton and winter Chanterelle.

Pied mutton is MUCH better than the French "pied du mouton" Laughing Although I always thought that the English 'hedgehog mushroom' conjured up a better image.
bingo

cab reply

Your not anti french are you cab?
cab

Re: cab reply

bingo wrote:
Your not anti french are you cab?

Not in the least. I do prefer the English names of most mushrooms though. Especially this one, I think 'hedgehog mushroom' is just great.
doctoral

bingo wrote:
JP, Doctoral you both live reasonable near this place. If your interested I can point you in the direction of pied mutton and winter Chanterelles and plenty of them. I went there yesterday and came away with enough. I don't mind telling you where as long as you don't tell everybody.
I took some photo's yesterday and will post them in the week, I've got a hangover today and can't be doing technical stuff.
If you want to know this place I could proberly meet you there this Sat morning.......EARLY. If not i'll just tell you where they are.

Hangover, sounds like it was a good night! Yes, I would love to come foraging - I can even tell you & JP (if we ever hear any more)where to find some good shrooms ... so long as you tell no-one else. of course. Standard procedure amongst those in the know Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

cab - I do believe that in some strange, but yet to be proven way, that you are in some way anti-French, although I will not pursue this line in case I become persona non gratis Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
doctoral

P.S How about a PM?
bingo

What is PM?

Please explain.
cab

doctoral wrote:

cab - I do believe that in some strange, but yet to be proven way, that you are in some way anti-French, although I will not pursue this line in case I become persona non gratis Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Naah, I'm fine with the French. Can't stand people needlessly speaking Latin though Laughing

I will admit to being baffled by the attraction of using French terms in cookery (and mushroom picking) when we've got perfectly good English ones. That always strikes me as odd. I had a battle royale with Sainsburys about that few years ago, when they were selling winter chanterelles as chanterelles. After considerable badgering they changed the labels to 'autumn chanterelles', so a partial success there Shocked
bingo

Cab.
This French/English and now Latin name thing is becoming boring.
I'm more interested in the mushrooms than anything else.
You've made your point clear on this topic and I respect that but every time I descibe a mushroom with its French name I don't need reminding of its English equivalent.
doctoral

doctoral wrote:
P.S How about a PM?

A Private Message to me and JP re: meet-up time and place - Saturday morning, if possible ...
sally_in_wales

Entering this from a different perspective, as whilst I adore mushrooms there are only a few types I'm confident to pick so far, I always find it immensly helpful to know as many variations of the names as possible, often the local names are really descriptive and that helps with ID from one perspective, whearas the names used in the posh cookbooks may be different, and the latin name different again. As a novice I could easily not realise that the same shroom (or plant for that matter) is being discussed, so I really like hearing all the names.

I appreciate that to an experienced forager it could get repetitive, but it does help the novices, so please bear with us and keep discussing the name options Very Happy
Penny Outskirts

Agree with Sally on that - as a novice, it can get very confusing so a discussion about all the different names a mushroom may be called is very helpful Very Happy
bingo

Good point Sally , Penny. Doc. I will contact you. I proberly can't make it on Sat but I will show you where. You will be able to fill two baskets I came from this spot with about 8k last Sat.
hedgehogpie

Common names can be variable countrywide, at least the latin name's consistent. I use both, that way you don't make mistakes.
mimborin

With regards to names, I think it can be dependant on your background; I come from a scientific one and prefer the Latin names as it also helps to classify the mushroom, and I can know related species from the name. It also can help with identification.
Bingo has said that he picks commercially, so it is understandable why he prefers to use the terms of the restaurant trade. It is useful to me to know some of these names since that is what you get in some recipe books.
Having said that I think there is a lot to be said for the descriptive names as well, and these can also be useful for identification when out foraging.
To sum up: Lets use a variety of names, its good for the soul!

Whatever you calls 'em Good 'unting. salute
Behemoth

I like all the names, usually start with the common English and latin (although i often forget these) but like to know what other folk call them as well.
cab

Just to clarify the point on latin, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using scientfic nomenclature wherever possible, its a very good way of avoiding confusion. I was, with my comment about latin, gently taking the mickey out of Doctoral who had just used the term 'persona non grata' when taking the mickey out of me for not being overly fond of French words.

Regarding which terms to use, for my own part I can make out French terms, Italian ones, and I've got a passable idea what some of the Portugese and Spanish terms for some popular mushrooms are. No problems there. But I think its worth remembering that we've got lots of people here who are beginners, some who are know a thing or two about foraging, and only a few of us who've been doing it for years. So wherever possible its a good idea to use the common English form as well as the scientific term, and if a foreign name is used instead then one of the moderator team is always likely to interject with the English name too. The aim is to keep the foraging section as inclusive as possible.
doctoral

Smile Lets all make up, have fun and eat wild mushrooms together sometime ...
jp

Quote:
I can even tell you & JP (if we ever hear any more)where to find some good shrooms ... so long as you tell no-one else. of course.

Quote:
JP, Doctoral you both live reasonable near this place. If your interested I can point you in the direction of pied mutton and winter Chanterelles and plenty of them.

Doctoral & Bingo - sorry for the belated reply. The weekend was a washout - to many "jobs" from the other half to do & the car battery chose to die on me Crying or Very sad . Spending today getting battery sorted.

Bingo, very generous offer re the shroom location - but it is only right we should meet up before you show me your prize shroom location! salute. I need to work on getting a "pink ticket" for a foray one weekend soon.

My view, for what its worth, on the name discussion is that the scientific name is the key. If you use that name then there is no doubt what shroom (or anything else) you are talking about - common names are fun / interesting /evocative / convenient but no more. This does of course depend upon knowing the scientific name - but with such good books out there these days that should not be a huge problem for anyone.

Sigh - back to the %@*&! car battery...
bingo

Very wise mim. You hit the nail on the head.
bingo

Point taken Cab. So lets wrap this topic up. Lets all use whatever names we like. More is more.
doctoral

Very Happy Yeah, lets all get together and eat the things ...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home