Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Jamanda

Amanita rubescens?

I wonder if someone could help me with this mushroom before we feed it to my Mother. We think it is Amanita rubescens (the blusher Embarassed ). However, the Colin's guide says it's one of the best culinary mushrooms, whereas Rodger's mushrooms website says it's poisonous. (Mind you they say all sorts over there!)

[/i]
mimborin

It looks like Amanita Rubescens to me, which I have as edible, but it can be easily confused so not worth risking, unless looked at by someone with more experience than me. Please don't eat it on my opinion!
cab

Doesn't look like its blushing very much, but I'd say that blusher is the most likely ID.

As to the question of edibility... Rogers right on this one. Its kind of, sort of, maybe but not really edible when boiled and the water thrown away, but even then not really. And just in case its not a blusher but a really nasty amanita, don't.

Besides, it ain't that tasty.
Northern_Lad

cab wrote:
Doesn't look like its blushing very much, but I'd say that blusher is the most likely ID.

As to the question of edibility... Rogers right on this one. Its kind of, sort of, maybe but not really edible when boiled and the water thrown away, but even then not really. And just in case its not a blusher but a really nasty amanita, don't.

Besides, it ain't that tasty.

Would you recommend she gets her husband to try some first? Twisted Evil
mimborin

Did Jamanda want to know if it is poisenous or isn't poisenous before feeding it to the mother? lol Laughing
tahir

mimborin wrote:
Did Jamanda want to know if it is poisenous or isn't poisenous before feeding it to the mother? lol Laughing

Didn't say did she? Shocked
cibi

I've seen a whole lot of them last month, but didn't pick any as in my mushroom books it said that it was hard to distinguish between the two and should be avoided. If there is a way of knowing the differences, I'd love to know them.
Jamanda

Northern Lad wrote:
Would you recommend she gets her husband to try some first? Twisted Evil

Well actually it was his idea to try it out on my Mum! Never mind, we've disposed of them. She'll never know!
wildfoodie

in my experience as an eager enthusiast, blushers are most confusable with panthercaps (deadly poisonous) but differ most obviously in that the volva remains on the panther cap are pure white not dingy cream or beige, as with the blusher. Also, the panthercap volva is much more shaggy with flecks of felty volvic remains on the stem beneath the ring and there is a 'gutter' between the panthercap stem and the volva, not so with the blusher, which is more warty below the ring. Also in my experience the blushing of the blusher is more of a slow bruising effect on the gills, but is never as pronounced or rapid as the red flushing of say Agaricus langei (although old specimens of A langei flush more faintly and much slower.) I haven't tasted a blusher; can't say I'm inclined to, either...
hope that helps!
Leif

Without doubt it is a Blusher, but I would not eat a fungus on the basis of an id from a stranger. They need to be cooked before eating.

In my experience Panther caps and A. spissa never have the red colouring that is seen in your photos. Oddly enough Panther caps are incredibly numerous at the moment. (As are Boletus aereus but that's another story.)
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home