Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Chez

Anyone actually GOT a Dunsley Baker Equaliser?

Has anyone got a dunsley baker equaliser and have a vague idea of how it works? Only ours doesn't seem to be doing as expected ...
Penny Outskirts

Sounds fascinating, what's one of them then?
MarkS

You might want to ask on either greenbuildingforum or totalfrance in the heating section.

I know what they are and what they are meant to do, but dont have one.
dougal

No, sorry - remember, I was asking you! Very Happy
Any news of Alison's?
wellington womble

hi chez, its alex - i dont know anyone that has got one but essentially it just sets the neutral point in you system by attaching it to the feed and expansion in your loft by doing this it means that you can attach more than one heat source to your hot water cylinder. By using the neutraliser valve you can have flow in more than one circuit without inducing flow in another

It should be a fairly simple device with not much to go wrong - the germans have some really complicated hydraulic neutraliser valves with their solar systems

does this help ? What are your problems ?

Kindest Regards,

alex
alison

We have recently fitted one chez

What do you want to know?
sean

I think she wants to know why hers isn't working properly.
tahir

sean wrote:

Rolling Eyes
sean

tahir wrote:
sean wrote:

Rolling Eyes

In the sense that someone might say "Ours didn't work properly until we flanged the manifold gate." Or something like that.
Stop picking on me, I spent all afternoon removing wallpaper which has a layer of gloss paint on top of it.
alison

We rang up dunsley, and a very helpful man went through each connection with us, and it works beautifully now.

There are various aspects to the working, so what isn't happening, and what is.
tahir

sean wrote:
I spent all afternoon removing wallpaper which has a layer of gloss paint on top of it.

Usually makes it esasire to peel off dunnit?
Jamanda

tahir wrote:
sean wrote:
I spent all afternoon removing wallpaper which has a layer of gloss paint on top of it.

Usually makes it esasire to peel off dunnit?

You're walking on thin ice here, Tahir!
sean

Maybe 'esasire' is Essex for 'a complete and utter bastard'.
James

Penny wrote:
Sounds fascinating, what's one of them then?

Confused

Is it that warm air circulatin system that they used on INEBG?
sean

No, it's a thingy for connecting together different heating/HW systems. I think.
dougal

sean wrote:
No, it's a thingy for connecting together different heating/HW systems. I think.

Yep.
But its actually called a "neutraliser" (doesn't the CIA have one?)
http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm
MarkS

sean wrote:
Stop picking on me, I spent all afternoon removing wallpaper which has a layer of gloss paint on top of it.

Woodchip I hope?
sean

The top half of the walls has some sort of embossed pattern, the bottom half is plain. I'm going to go back and start tackling the second half in a bit.
RichardW

sean wrote:
The top half of the walls has some sort of embossed pattern, the bottom half is plain. I'm going to go back and start tackling the second half in a bit.

napalm?

Justme

PS just had to do a similar job but was TWO layers of wall paper that BOTH had been painted. Took 3 days for 2 of us to do a 9 by 6 foot room.
vegplot

sean wrote:

Specifically boiler DHW and solar. Smile
sean

Steamer. Our last house had about five layers in the front room including a couple of layers of vinyl.
If I had my way it would be illegal to sell a house with wallpaper in situ.
vegplot

sean wrote:
Steamer. Our last house had about five layers in the front room including a couple of layers of vinyl.
If I had my way it would be illegal to sell a house with wallpaper in situ.

I had a house where the bare plaster walls and been painted with several layers of cheap post office red, black and an odd shade3 of deep purple all gloss paint, that was a utter child out of wedlock.
Chez

vegplot wrote:
sean wrote:

Specifically boiler DHW and solar. Smile

Not necessarily solar - our solar goes straight in to the tank. It's basically a big valve that all your boiler-heated water goes through, and prevents back-flow from one boiler to another, which would apparently cause something like a big bomb.

I think they used one on INEBG to link up the different stoves.

Ours has the hot water from the oil boiler going in to it, pumped in from pump 1. And hot water from the rayburn-thing (not yet lit) going in by convection (it is right below the airing cupboard, where the neutraliser is living). Pump 2 is 'downstream' from the neutraliser and should be taking the combined hot water streams from it and pumping them around the system. It is doing this very ineffectively and we've come to the conclusion that it's faulty. The plumbers are coming back tomorrow to have a look at it.

In addition, the hot water from the neutraliser should also be going through to the DHW tank via a coil by convection - this is not happening at all.

However, the overload pipe to the header tank coming out of the neutraliser is very hot indeed.

So something isn't working.

Arvo's going to give the chap at Dunsley a ring tomorrow when the plumbers are here I think - they are kind of doing it as a joint effort, as A doesn't understand plumbing very well and they don't really understand wiring of this complexity and have never fitted one before.

In the meantime, I am going to bed early in my thermals and my hiking hat Smile.
wellington womble

If himself was awake, I'd make him come and look, but as he isn't, he's not much good to you. If he wakes up later, I will make him make sensible suggestions, but then you will be asleep.

Probably best to wait for the plumber, then! Sorry!
Chez

It's working!
wav

The Pump 1 needed to be on the return leg rather than the out leg ... and [various other things I don't understand because I was too cold to listen]. But we have hot radiators AND hot water!

Yay!
woodsprite

Ooh goody. The old man says its all looking good. Very Happy
Chez

They were all fab - and your pair were very gracious about the water raining through the ceiling on to them mid-afternoon Smile.
wellington womble

Chez wrote:
We have hot radiators AND hot water!
Yay!

you really have to have put up with life without to appreciate the joy in that sentiment! Congratulations!
sean

We had no CH for the whole of last winter. Did have HW though.
Jamanda

Extra hard when you've got a baby. I'm glad it's sorted out Chez.
pookie

Glad you have it sorted now. My BIL and OH worked it out last night apparently, but too late for you Wink
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home