Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
arvo

anyone know owt about cars and gas kits?

Happy NY all!

Hope all festivities went in the approved fashion. Great to put names to faces at the Aber downsizer meet. Looking forward to the next one.

In the meantime does anyone know much about cars?

I've got a workhorse Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Club that I want to fit a Gas kit to (saving environment and cash I hope). However having seen the site for the lovely people at Navitron, I need to know a couple more bits about the inside of the engine before I plunge in.

Specifically the following:
1) Do I have a cat?
2) Do I have an emulator? (What *is* an emulator??)
3) If none of the above, is it a sequential or non-sequential?
4) Is anyone running a gas kit who can add some experience?

Many thanks and best wishes for 2008

Arvo
MarkS

I can tell you that aftermarket lpg fitments can be *very* problematic.

And you will not be allowed on eurostar.

how old is the car ? Cats became a requirement around 1996 I think.
I guess that by emulator they mean a control system that interacts with the carsexisting ecu to fool it into thinking that it runs ok on lpg.

also I guess that sequential and non-sequential is refering to the injection technique. There are single point injection systems, multipoint injection systems and then the clever ones which do multiple injections into each cylinder to maximise the power available on a cycle.

I know that one of the major european lpg kit suppliers has just had a major headache because the pipes they have been using have been failing due to the lpg. ?I also know of a fleet using lpg (won awards for being green) who are finding that they are costing a fortune in sorting out problems.

I note also that navitron have stopped selling the kits.

For the cost of the conversion and the difficulty of sorting problems I would say either stick to manufacturer systems (vauxhall did do bi-fuel for awhile) or buy a diesel.

Im sure Dougal knows.
VSS

Buy a diesel and run on cheap cooking oil from local supermarket. Legally, 2500 litres/year duty free.
Mix with 10 - 20 % diesel (summer) or 40% diesel (winter)
dougal

arvo wrote:
... I've got a workhorse Vauxhall Astra 1.6 Club that I want to fit a Gas kit to (saving environment and cash I hope). However having seen the site for the lovely people at Navitron, I need to know a couple more bits about the inside of the engine before I plunge in.

Ummmm...
Navitron wrote:
Navitron has ceased selling Autogas Equipment

All future sales enquiries should be addressed to Zenith R&D Ltd who will be marketing the LPG Autogas, CNG and pressure cylinder sales. If you have any enquiry relating to LPG, please contact Zenith R&D Ltd directly

arvo wrote:

1) Do I have a cat?
2) Do I have an emulator? (What *is* an emulator??)
3) If none of the above, is it a sequential or non-sequential?
4) Is anyone running a gas kit who can add some experience?

1 - depends not least on the model year of the vehicle - if in doubt ask at an Exhaust shop, Kwikfit or the like...
2 - Probably not yet http://www.gastec.ws/productIE5.html
3 - Ask google about your fuel injection system (see manual and/or car for details of what it is called)
4- not me.

About gas conversions.
They don't change (to any significant degree) the car's (fossil) *Carbon* output.
However, they may change the car's output of polluting nasties - other than CO2. A catalytic converter ("cat") does that too.
Hence gas has been seen as "a good thing" for *city* vehicles.
Hence it is taxed (if you adjust for different mpg - and you do need to) to be a bit (but not massively) cheaper than petrol and diesel.
Because its a bit cheaper, its *distinctly* attractive for those who use *lots* of fuel, like those doing large mileages in gas guzzling 4x4's, and especially Range Rovers (for which gas conversions are quite popular) ...

The less fuel you use, the less financially attractive the whole deal becomes.
And remember, the benefit is city air quality NOT greenhouse gas reduction.

So, frankly, if you are in rural Wales, drive a small car, not all that much, there's (eco and financiallly) better things to spend money on.

MarkS wrote:
... you will not be allowed on eurostar.
But you're not allowed on any other ordinary passenger train... Very Happy
More importantly (perhaps) EuroTunnel won't carry gas-converted cars.

MarkS wrote:
Im sure Dougal knows.
Not much! (See above)
arvo

I'll take that on board and report back.

Thanks all...
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home