Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Vanessa

Anyone needed a tradesman on Christmas Eve?

If so, how much did they charge?

Time and a half?
Double time?
Normal rates??

Hubby's been called to a property by a management agency, and there's been a *lot* of debate (between the 2 of us and friends) over how much he should charge them. He's NOT an emergency call-out electrician, but he IS a guy with a big heart who didn't want to let someone down (broken cooker, new one needed to be wired in urgently so a young family wouldn't be without over Christmas).
LynneA

I'd go time and a half until noon, double time after, and if it goes beyond 6pm, triple time.
Vanessa

Thanks Lynne. That helps.
chicken feed

in the 30 yrs we have been trading charistmas eve is just like any other working day its not a bank holiday so after 5 pm its a case of wait or pay double time. thats the norm around here.
Tavascarow

I'm sure all the ordinary people who work for employers would be delighted if they got time & a half pre mid day & double after.
Last time I looked twas just an ordinary working day not a bank holiday?
Vanessa

Thanks folks! Cool

Mind you, he wouldn't normally work Saturdays, so perhaps time-and-a-half would be in order.
onemanband

If I had nothing better to do then I wouldn't charge more than normal rates. A lot of my regular customers would give me a good tip for this sort of scenario, so I'd gamble on the tip if it was a householder paying.
However your job is for a management company so there might not be any gratitude or follow up work. So I'd probably go time and half and err on the high side when totting up the bill
Rob R

I'd definitely go for same rates as usual, Christmas day is different, but today is just a normal working day for me.
RichardW

Not any help but they are allowed to wire in a cooker to a cooker face plate themselves. Assuming that they can do it & have the tools.

As today is a normal working day I would charge his normal hourly rate + call out fee. Poss travelling time / cost depending if the job was in his normal area or not.

What ever you do make sure they know the rough cost before he leaves.
Chez

I'd definitely go for same rates as usual, Christmas day is different, but today is just a normal working day for me.

Yep, Christmas Eve isn't a holiday. It happens to fall on a Saturday this year, so you could take that in to account.
Vanessa

The people living in the property are tenants. It is the landlord who will be paying, and who insists that his tenants do not do any electrical work themselves.

As for having "nothing better to do" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing There's a list as long as I am tall of things he really should have got done before Christmas day, many of them important / urgent. *shrug* that's what comes of being married to a self-employed chap, I guess! Laughing

At this rate, I'll even be wrapping my own pressies! Rolling Eyes
lettucewoman

The people living in the property are tenants. It is the landlord who will be paying, and who insists that his tenants do not do any electrical work themselves.

As for having "nothing better to do" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing There's a list as long as I am tall of things he really should have got done before Christmas day, many of them important / urgent. *shrug* that's what comes of being married to a self-employed chap, I guess! Laughing

At this rate, I'll even be wrapping my own pressies! Rolling Eyes

time and a half then Wink
onemanband

Your OH may fix the cooker because he has a big heart - but the landlord is not renting his house because he has a big heart.
We've all got a living to make wether it be property letting or being a tradesman so I'm not saying fleece him -but I am saying don't sell yourself short.
The landlord can claim repair as an expense - so the cost is not all out of his pocket, whereas a householder would not be able to claim the tax back.
Vanessa

Thank you! Cool I do have a devil of a job getting him to charge enough as it is Rolling Eyes Laughing He's a good sparky, but not a good business man. Probably the poorest sparky around Laughing Laughing Nick

As a landlord, today, I'd want it fixed, whatever. Don't take the mick and you'll get called back, but yes, I can claim it against tax so it's not an issue. Normal rate, plus a chunk for call out. Vanessa

Thanks Nick. He'd never take the mick with his charges ... quite the opposite! You've all given me a little "oomph" behind my argument that he's got to charge a bit more! Wink onemanband

Allways difficult to know what to charge.
I did some repair work last week for a customer I have not seen for a few years. Repairs were on his rental property.
The job took much less time than I'd thought so I just charged my upper hourly rate + materials at rrp. This still came out less than my original quote and was still a very nice earner for me.
I dropped the invoice off at customers house only to see he had a new Aston Martin on the drive. And there's me just knocked 40 off his bill.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home