Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Northern_Lad

Are there any...

...Boletus that are inedible?

I have a very nice looking specimin on a table at home. It's about 3.5" across the cap, about 4" high and quite heavy.
The cap's a chustnut colour on top, and quite pale, though not white, underneath. No spores printed as yet, but it's only been 12 hours. The stem is fiberous, and looks like a pale giraffe. The flesh is white, and there no visible change when cut or bruised anywhere.
cab

Re: Are there any...

Northern_Lad wrote:

Yes! Some are rather indigestible, at least one is potentially lethal.

Quote:

I have a very nice looking specimin on a table at home. It's about 3.5" across the cap, about 4" high and quite heavy.
The cap's a chustnut colour on top, and quite pale, though not white, underneath. No spores printed as yet, but it's only been 12 hours. The stem is fiberous, and looks like a pale giraffe. The flesh is white, and there no visible change when cut or bruised anywhere.

From that description I'm pretty sure that its not poisonous. Try a tentative little taste; if it isn't bitter and nasty, should be fine.

12 hours is plenty long enough for a spore print normally. Try putting it on black and white bits of paper or card next time.
Northern_Lad

Re: Are there any...

cab wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

Yes! Some are rather indigestible, at least one is potentially lethal.

Ah well, nothing ventured...

cab wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

I have a very nice looking specimin on a table at home. It's ...

From that description I'm pretty sure that its not poisonous. Try a tentative little taste; if it isn't bitter and nasty, should be fine.

Came from the foot of an oak tree, I think fairly acidic soil, but I could be wrong about the soil.

I shall have a nibble and see what happens.
Behemoth

Waits eagerly for outcome......
Behemoth

Should we call someone?
Northern_Lad

Not had a nibble yet, but the spores are showing now - middling-brown, and the 'gills' are turning an olive like colour.
sean

If you hang on long enough it'll go rotten and then you can throw it away.
Northern_Lad

sean wrote:
If you hang on long enough it'll go rotten and then you can throw it away.

Well that's not very friendly, is it? It's pencilled in to go into a rissotto on Wednesday. Should still be fine by then.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home