Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption
 


       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

Basic foraging advice...

Just wanted to remind people of these guidelines here:

http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=449#449

Foraging is fun, and a great way to add lots of variety to your cooking, but be safe and responsible. Follow Downsizers advice in the posting above and you'll not go far wrong.
Cathryn

We are going a bit fungus mad Laughing Laughing
Behemoth

Can i add: Stout boots/sensible footwear, old heavy trousers and jacket to protect against thorns and spiky bushes. Also a hat with a brim, really helps to keep the rain off and the low sun out of your eyes. You can't go wrong with a good, stout stick as well
cab

Behemoth wrote:
Can i add: Stout boots/sensible footwear, old heavy trousers and jacket to protect against thorns and spiky bushes. Also a hat with a brim, really helps to keep the rain off and the low sun out of your eyes. You can't go wrong with a good, stout stick as well


Good point. Something about 'equipment'. I'll get on that this afternoon and add details on taking a basket, what you might want for ID'ing aids, that kind of thing.
Behemoth

dpack gave me a golf ball cleaning tool in return for a favour. It's quite handy, it has a short blade, a brush and a little poky bit for levering stones etc out. Rebrand it as a mushrooming tool and you could sell it for twice the price.
doctoral

Behemoth wrote:
Can i add: Stout boots/sensible footwear, old heavy trousers and jacket to protect against thorns and spiky bushes. Also a hat with a brim, really helps to keep the rain off and the low sun out of your eyes. You can't go wrong with a good, stout stick as well


Very Happy I found a good stout stick (actually, a broomstick, on the fungus foray I did with gregreeve - the most valuable find of the day, apart from the oysters!
doctoral

ruby wrote:
We are going a bit fungus mad Laughing Laughing


Good for you Razz Razz
dpack

the golf tool thingies are nice
i'll see if i can get some more Wink im keeping the last 2 in case i cant
extra bags is a good idea as is a rain cover for traditional baskets
Zarza

Quote:
We are going a bit fungus mad


And proud of it. Wink

Equipment: I can't believe anybody mentioned wellies. Those are the most important. I'll rather go out naked with wellies than dressed and barefoot.
doctoral

Zarza wrote:
Quote:
We are going a bit fungus mad


And proud of it. Wink

Equipment: I can't believe anybody mentioned wellies. Those are the most important. I'll rather go out naked with wellies than dressed and barefoot.


Wink I always like to see foragers with wellies - they call them naturists where I come from!
cab

Added a section on being kitted out. Good thinking chaps and chapesses Smile
hedgewitch

And the all important tip of remembering to actually take out with you the containers to put stuff in Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing
cab

hedgewitch wrote:
And the all important tip of remembering to actually take out with you the containers to put stuff in Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing


I've been known to forget too sometimes Laughing

I think that taking the right container for the job is absolutely crucial. A basket for shrooms is superb (although a stylish, fetchingly designed Downsizer bag works surprisingly well). For apples a stout cloth bag is good; my canvas rucksack is good but I also use a Downsizer bag. I've often got home with a Downsizer bag full of wild greens, of course...

Yes, the right container for the right job Wink
Zarza

I'd like to use a nice basket, but the access to the mushrooms patches is done by mountainbike. I cannot see myself in a dirty track going down the hill with a basket in one hand and trying to turn and brake with the other one Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
hedgewitch

Zarza wrote:
I'd like to use a nice basket, but the access to the mushrooms patches is done by mountainbike. I cannot see myself in a dirty track going down the hill with a basket in one hand and trying to turn and brake with the other one Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green


What you need is a mountain bike basket, for the front of your bike Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home