Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
cab

Best wild green salad in yonks...

Foraged from Chesil beach last week. Wild rocket, young autumn shoots of alexanders, and sea beet. Outstanding. The supremacy of rocket, sorrel and lettuce as the greatest three leaf combination is under threat Smile
dougal

Alexanders. Any hints on safe ID? (Please!)
cab

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Finding_Food/Top_Ten_Wild_Foods_at_the_Seaside/

The thing abotu alexanders is that the leaves are kind of shiny in the way that wild parsnip leaves aren't, they're not sort of frondy like many of the other umbellifers, and its just not particularly like the dropworts.
dougal

cab wrote:
http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Finding_Food/Top_Ten_Wild_Foods_at_the_Seaside/

The thing abotu alexanders is that the leaves are kind of shiny in the way that wild parsnip leaves aren't, they're not sort of frondy like many of the other umbellifers, and its just not particularly like the dropworts.

Ummm.

Cab, y'know it was actually specifically because of your comment in that article
Quote:
Like any umbellifer, you could do yourself serious harm if you were to mistake one of the poisonous wild relatives of alexanders for the real thing. But don't let that worry you too much, once you get to know the texture and smell you'll have no trouble knowing the real thing.
that had given me pause for reflection! Very Happy And had me asking for more help...

I'd presumed that they would be primarily a spring or early summer delight. Presumably, you were finding tender young plants for salad. So, littl'uns then, even now...

But, "kind of shiny" and "not sort of frondy". That might not be enough to help me, as a bit of a duffer on plant IDs.
Can you say anything about this characteristic texture and smell of which you had previously written ?
cab

dougal wrote:
Ummm.

Cab, y'know it was actually specifically because of your comment in that article
Quote:
Like any umbellifer, you could do yourself serious harm if you were to mistake one of the poisonous wild relatives of alexanders for the real thing. But don't let that worry you too much, once you get to know the texture and smell you'll have no trouble knowing the real thing.
that had given me pause for reflection! Very Happy And had me asking for more help...

It isn't so very, very far removed from a water dropwort that a complete idiot couldn't make that mistake. As you're not a complete idiot...

Quote:

I'd presumed that they would be primarily a spring or early summer delight. Presumably, you were finding tender young plants for salad. So, littl'uns then, even now...

Yeah, like many of the umbellifers at this time of year you'll find the occasional tiddler if it has been mild, the young seedlings from this years seed drop are what you'll find from alexanders. Not a lot of them, but there were enough around in sheltered spots such that taking a few leaves seemed reasonable.

Quote:

But, "kind of shiny" and "not sort of frondy". That might not be enough to help me, as a bit of a duffer on plant IDs.
Can you say anything about this characteristic texture and smell of which you had previously written ?

Many umbellifers are hairy or kind of spiny, alexanders are smooth. But more than that its a glossy plant; not great big thick waxy leaves, but thinner and with a smooth sheen to them. The stem is solid, the leaves aren't frond like but are toothed. At the end of the leaf stalk theres a cluster of three leaves, at the base of the leaf stalk theres a sort of sheath, somewhat reminiscent of a the way a fennel leaf grows from the stem or bulb.

In summer, when its flowering, its bushy, with yellow umbels of flowers.

The smell... Oh, how I wish I could describe smells Smile Have you grown angelica? Rather like fresh angelica but sweeter, a bit 'greener'.
dougal

Thanks - and I'm working on the completion aspect... Laughing
Stewy

Get any fishing done off Chesil whilst you were there Cab?
cab

Stewy wrote:
Get any fishing done off Chesil whilst you were there Cab?

We were only on holiday with our rucksacks I'm afraid, so no space to take any kit down Sad

I was baffled to find a whole bunch of dead dogfish washed up on Chesil. Is that a normal site down there? Do people catch 'em and just dump 'em on that coast?
Stewy

Possibly Cab Sad We were down there (portland end) a few week's ago and caught a fair few mackerel but only took what we needed and put the rest back to fight another day, I also caught my first ever Garfish Very Happy Strange looking things.
Gavin Bl

Sorry to derail...

Stewy
Did you catch them with a line, or do that thing with the net? Wouldn't mind trying the latter, if its not too difficult, but not bothered about sitting round with a rod.

cheers
Gav
Stewy

Feathering using a rod Gavin, believe me you are not sat about when using feathers, I was knackered after a couple of hours Very Happy
Gavin Bl

Stewy wrote:
Feathering using a rod Gavin, believe me you are not sat about when using feathers, I was knackered after a couple of hours Very Happy

Whatever it is - growing veg, foraging, fishing - my ineptitude can be relied upon to shine through, I'm a Mr Pooter for the 21st Century.... Laughing cheers Stewy, I just don't know the first thing about fishing...

cheers
Gav
Stewy

Laughing

Get yourself a rod and have a go Gav, it's that easy that even I can do it Very Happy

(although I was junior match champion once im my younger day's Wink Laughing )
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home