Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Lorrainelovesplants

bitesize blacksmithing event - Cornwall

Im still to finalise the details, but would anyone be interested in a SUBSIDISED day having a go at blacksmithing. max 2 people around 90?
Take home something you've made, eg poker, candleholder....
sgt.colon

Why do all the cool things happen fifty millions miles away from where I live!!!!
Hairyloon

Very probably.
When, and how far down Cornwall?
12Bore

Why do all the cool things happen fifty millions miles away from where I live!!!!

This!
toggle

sounds fascinating, but not until i ahve the money.
Hairyloon

This!
Share a lift?
Nick

90 each, I assume?

And, what kind of age limit would you suggest?
Lorrainelovesplants

Its adult only (this particular type of event).

It will be run in conjunction with the Rural Business School, who can part fund and thus to be eligible you need to have a holding number.

However,.........this need not put you off. If there is demand for the same sort of thing for non eligible people, we can arrange to teach this again on a 2 person basis for roughly the same price (and John would be prepared to teach sensible kids from 14 upwards).
Health & safety are important to us, and blacksmithing is not only hot and can burn, but is physically demanding.

The location is at our own forge in Wadebridge.
Hairyloon

It will be run in conjunction with the Rural Business School, who can part fund and thus to be eligible you need to have a holding number.
What sort of Holding number?

And When are you running the course(s)?
Nick

An agricultural holding number, I guess. Smile Nick

Its adult only (this particular type of event).

However,.........this need not put you off. If there is demand for the same sort of thing for non eligible people, we can arrange to teach this again on a 2 person basis for roughly the same price (and John would be prepared to teach sensible kids from 14 upwards).
Health & safety are important to us, and blacksmithing is not only hot and can burn, but is physically demanding.

The location is at our own forge in Wadebridge.

OK, thanks. I was thinking of my elder lad, who's 15, and six two. I wouldn't worry about the physical side of things. Smile
Hairyloon

An agricultural holding number, I guess. Smile
That was my guess as well. I think I might have one of those... or the welsh equivalent.
I wonder where I put it. Confused
Hairyloon

Do you have an upper age limit?
Lorrainelovesplants

No upper limit (we are having some ladies from a WI come for the week to do a course!), but obviously if you have a heart condition or asthma then perhaps its not really for you.

Ill finalise this as soon as possible and post details.

There is B&B available locally.

And, yes, its an agricultural holding number.
Hairyloon

When?!
Is it one course per holding number, or how many?
Lorrainelovesplants

Be patient.....Im finalising.

All I can say is:

that they will all be in Wadebridge.
that depending on response we may run a lot.
that the eligibility criteria to get the CHEAP rate is fairly strict.....
ie You have to live in Cornwall AND have a holding number (this isnt my choice - its the funding).

HOWEVER........as so many of you are obviously interested we do offer bitesize events outwith the RBS that are very reasonably priced...ie 80 for a days smithing......
so, say a couple or a dad and son (or mum and daughter) wanted to come and do this, we can arrange it.
Lorrainelovesplants

Im looking at July for the first RBS (part funded) event, but am already booking days now outwith RBS.
For example we are fully booked from Thurs 5th July till Wed 18th July!

Its the new gardening, I think.
Hairyloon

The eligibility criteria to get the CHEAP rate is fairly strict.....
ie You have to live in Cornwall AND have a holding number...
Does the holding also have to be in Cornwall?
Is it only the holder of a number themselves, or could they send (eg) an employee?

Appreciate that you may not have the answers to these straight off.
Lorrainelovesplants

Im pming you..... Laughing Lorrainelovesplants

NOW APPROVED!!
The first RBS event is to be a 1 day introduction to blacksmithing. max 2 learners, on Tuesday 17th July here in Wadebridge at our forge.

The way funding works is you are ELIGIBLE for the subsidised fee (50) if you live in Cornwall and have an agricultural holding no (ie you are a farmer, a farm employee or volunteer, a forester or horticulturalist). Please pm me to explain more fully the eligibility rules.[i]
[i][i]If your not eligible for the subsidised fee its 100.
Under the RBS rules - we cant allow under 16's(as technically they wouldnt be employees). There will be more dates if this proves popular.
[/i]
BUT, You dont have to fit into this criteria....
If you'd like to do blacksmithing, we offer PRIVATELY....an intro to Blacksmithing (same event) for everyone (again max 2 people per event) for 80 per person per day. We offer this on demand - so choose your day!

[/i][/i]
Hairyloon

If you'd like to do blacksmithing, we offer PRIVATELY....an intro to Blacksmithing (same event) for everyone (again max 2 people per event) for 80 per person per day. We offer this on demand - so choose your day!
How tightly booked are you on this?
If I were to ask you for ASAP, when could you fit us in?

This is a kind of general question to help me judge how far ahead I need to plan to work it into a trip.
Lorrainelovesplants

Well, cant do anytime for the rest of this week (Royal Cornwall Show), cant do Tues 12th or Wed 13th June, but reasonably clear after this until end of June. Booked from 2nd July thru till 18th, and then again from 23rd till 1st Aug.
Does this help?
Hairyloon

Well, cant do anytime for the rest of this week...
That's the kind of thing I'd say. It suggests that another week you might be lucky. Wink

I'll be in touch...
Lorrainelovesplants

Suggest a date then. Smile Hairyloon

We went today. It was jolly good.

Made a poker. It is not particularly good, I clearly need more practice... but it pokes. Wink

Lorrainelovesplants

Ive got better piccies than that! can I show them? Hairyloon

Ive got better piccies than that! can I show them?
What, and expose my secret identity?!
I suppose if you must...
Jamanda

That's great. Very Happy Lorrainelovesplants

There's not much to show really, you had your head down most of the time..... Laughing

and you did very well,....its hard work despite what people see on the tv.....hope you had a good time!

Hairyloon

hope you had a good time!
Yes we did.
Thank you.
I notice I need a hair cut.
Ginkotree

That all looks amazing..
where in Cornwall are you...
Lorrainelovesplants

We're just outside Wadebridge (which is pretty much the middle).

handy for surfing beaches, nice camra pubs, great eating places, Padstow, Port Isaac etc. Eden is 15 mins away.
Ginkotree

Got where you are now....
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Reviews and What's On
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home