Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Chez

Boilers ...

Kind of a cross-over with Spicey's wood-burning cooker thread, but didn't want to hijack it ...

How big is a 100,000BTU backboiler? If a stove has one that will produce 100,000BTU over 24 hours (which the spec says), is that enough for any rads? Or just DHW?

Just askin'. Not thinkin' about getting a different rayburn. 'onest.
vegplot

1 watt is approximately 3.41 BTU/h.

If the marketing material is correct they're syaing the stove produces 100,000 BTU's in 24 hr period so an average that's 4,166 BTU/h which is 1.2KW.

I'd say that was enough for DHW.

The Rayburn 212SFW is rated a 12,000 BTU (3.5kW) per hr and is designed for DHW and partial central heating.
RichardW

Never seen any advetised as x BTU per 24 hours. Most just quote BTU. 100k btu will do DHM plus a large house. Our current oil boiler is 120k btu & does 26 rads. Remember solid fuel boilers work differently to oil ones. Once its lit all the heat must go some where so plan on having a heat store too. Will even out the heating demand & supply.

Justme
vegplot

Justme wrote:
Never seen any advetised as x BTU per 24 hours. Most just quote BTU. 100k btu will do DHM plus a large house. Our current oil boiler is 120k btu & does 26 rads. Remember solid fuel boilers work differently to oil ones. Once its lit all the heat must go some where so plan on having a heat store too. Will even out the heating demand & supply.

Justme

It is unusual makes me wonder if it's marketing blurb to make their boiler sound more powerful than it really is (by a factor of 24).
vegplot

Justme wrote:

Justme

It is unusual makes me wonder if it's marketing blurb to make their boiler sound more powerful than it really is (by a factor of 24).
Chez

vegplot wrote:

Hmm, no, don't think so - it's the specs for the Rayburn No. 3 on the Rayburn website: Here.

Maybe fifty years ago the way output was described was different?

Am eyeing one up that we've seen on eBay. Quite worried that the Hunter-thingy that we have leaks smoke out of various orifices that it shouldn't - and hence, maybe, fumes.
RichardW

I have the slightly newer (1958) royal. Its hot water only.

Justme
Chez

Thanks!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home