Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Treacodactyl

Bricklaying

I need some decent walls built in the garden. They will be block back and faced brick at the front but need to be done well as they will be very visible. I could get a bricklayer in but I might try myself as I've laid internal blocks before and laid a few bricks in my time. My main problem is getting everything straight but if I'm very careful with a line and level I should be able to do it.

My question is, has anyone done a brick laying course and did it help? I could do one if it would help but I think it might teach me what I already know and all I need is practice. Any budding brick layers out there offer any advice?
Northern_Lad

I did some laying about 5 years back - my mortar was far too soft, but the walls are still upright and straight.

You've got a mixer, so you shouldn't have that problem.

Practice with the back wall, and if you don't think you've improved enough then go on a course or get someone in. I don't think you'll need to though.
judith

I suppose the advantage of doing a course is that you practice on someone else's property!
joanne

NL Rolling Eyes - I don't think you are capable of writing something without some sort of innuendo in it are you ?

You make me laugh so much Very Happy
Northern_Lad

jocorless wrote:
NL Rolling Eyes - I don't think you are capable of writing something without some sort of innuendo in it are you ?

You make me laugh so much Very Happy

Question If I've done it again, then I didn't mean to. What've I said now?
joanne

Northern_Lad wrote:
I did some laying about 5 years back - my mortar was far too soft

Maybe its just my mucky mind but I found that funny Embarassed
Treacodactyl

Northern_Lad wrote:
You've got a mixer, so you shouldn't have that problem.

Practice with the back wall, and if you don't think you've improved enough then go on a course or get someone in. I don't think you'll need to though.

I have the equipment and I would do the back block wall first. That can be a bit messy but needs to be as level and straight as possible as it will govern the front wall to a fair degree. As I'm having the front done by builders I've kept a good note of what they're doing and I can copy them.
Jonnyboy

Have you costed it? I need to do some walls and am debating block v railway sleepers.
Treacodactyl

judith wrote:
I suppose the advantage of doing a course is that you practice on someone else's property!

I can practice here with a weak mortar mix. Another reason for doing this is, if all goes reasonably well, I'll be more experienced next time. Cool
Treacodactyl

Jonnyboy wrote:
Have you costed it? I need to do some walls and am debating block v railway sleepers.

Not exactly although I have the prices for the materials. When I roughed out the prices with oak sleepers the brick wall worked out cheaper, about half the price. It would also be a bit tricky moving the sleepers round to the back and I'm not too sure how they will look. With brickwork I can use the same bricks as the front which have been matched to the house as well so hopefully everything will tie in.
Vanessa

Well, I did a bricklaying course and I found it very useful. You build using lime mortar that gets re-used time and time again!! Take down what you've built at the end of each lesson - that's the tedious bit. MOH went too, and he also found it very useful.

We've even got certificates to prove we can lay bricks now!! Laughing
Treacodactyl

What did you learn on the course? Mortar mixes, starting things off, laying bricks level, pointing etc? I'm leaning towards having a go and if I struggle then finding a course or a bricklayer.
Vanessa

Sorry for the delay in replying to you Embarassed

Learned the lot - mortar mixes (including lime mortar), keeping the courses level, different "bonds", pillars, pointing (although my pointing is crap!! Laughing ) ... was money well spent, I thought.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home