Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
suomi

can sheep find their way home?

our three sheep,all male aged 5 months,got spooked yesterday and did a runner! they were last spotted running through our neighbours field,he lives about half a kilometer away,then running into the forest.
we spent 5 hours looking for them with no sign at all...... theres plenty to eat in the forrest so they wont be hungry! the forrest is huge.... and I mean huge! here in finland no one uses fences( to define owned land) so they will have free range!
everyone is on the look out for 3 wandering sheep,but I doubt if we will see them again. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I was wondering do sheep have some kind of homing instinct?
so the autumn project is to re-build all our fences....bloody hell that will be some massive job! they will be fine out there untill november,then the snow will come and their food source will disappear Sad dont fancy the thought of frozen sheep Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
VSS

They do sometimes - we once sold a sheep to a farm on Anglesey and she walked home (about 30 miles and how she got over the bridge i'll never know). Sold her for killing the second time

They are more likely to come back if they were born and reared on your holding.

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk
suomi

unfortunatly they were not born here,they come from a village about 30 klms away! not sure if they could find their way back though!
although your sheep proves distance isnt a problem Surprised
we will have another walk through the forrest later today,its hot and humid at the moment and the moose flys are bloody annoying! Mad
its 30oc and 78 per cent humidity!!!
I know theres plenty to eat for them but there are also wolves,bear and lynx around, I love wild life but not if its going to have a meal with my stock Sad
Ill keep you posted.....
suomi

The boys are back home! they were in our neigbours field trying to get back home... they are fine, not even hungry! but tired so they are now tucked up in the barn having a nap!
so now we are out strengthening the fences!
just such a relief to have them back. Very Happy Very Happy
marigold

That's great news!
hedgewitch

So pleased they came back. Very Happy Round here, the sheep wander free on the hills, and I presume they know where they're going, but I can't be sure. They look purposeful, but that could be an act. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Mary-Jane

hedgewitch wrote:
They look purposeful, but that could be an act. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Remember that all white animals are evil...evil I say... evil5
hedgewitch

Mary-Jane wrote:
hedgewitch wrote:
They look purposeful, but that could be an act. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Remember that all white animals are evil...evil I say... evil5

We sometimes buy eggs from a farm, and the hillside across from the yard has loads of sheep scattered over it. and I often sit gazing out, waiting for mr hedgewitch to stop chatting to the egg seller. Well, I say scattered, but they're not, not really. They don't look that random to me. I think they're signalling - not sure what the message is, or who it is aimed at. But I don't trust 'em. Twisted Evil

I was once attacked by a sheep. It tried to mug me for a hummus and alfalfa sprout sandwich. Never trusted 'em since then. Wink
Vanessa

Glad your sheep are back safely. Smile
gil

Hill sheep certainly aren't random. They're 'hefted' : attached to a particular part of the hill which over previous sheep generations has become their territory. Knowledge is passed from breeding ewe to (ewe)-lamb, and so on (the tup/wether lambs get sold).
suomi

Thanks everyone Very Happy
well I guess Ive answered my own question!!! yes they can find their way home!!! Surprised I was surprised I must admit,as between the forest and us is a very large newfounland dog,and a hunting dog who barks at everything! but they are brave sheep obviously..and made their way back.
we have now finished building a "sheep proof" fence,huge stakes sunk into the ground and taller sheep fence.
the summer here still is wonderful Very Happy Very Happy 21oc,blue sky and sunshine again today..they are saying its going to be a lovely autumn...oh yes and a very cold winter..... hhhhhmmmmmm lots of lamb stew though!!!
@Calli

suomi wrote:
...oh yes and a very cold winter..... hhhhhmmmmmm lots of lamb stew though!!!

Bet they're glad they came back Laughing Laughing

Just don't tell them the last part Confused
Nanny

if sheep can find their way home, how come the three sheep that were shown the door 3 times from our property decided to come back to ours and not go home?

couldn't be because our grass was better could it?

we considered adopting (to freezer status) however my natural honesty took over and we found out who the owner was, he came and had to take them away in a trailer

presumably they weren't homing sheep then
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home