Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Tilia

can't find it in my flora...

I've tried all the different keys and resorted to the usual - looking at every single picture...

and I still can't find it!

Anyone recognise this?

Click to see full size image

The pic with the phone is the largest leaf on the plant (so far). This particular plant has been growing for quite a few months now. It has no significant smell to it. It has no flower (yet). The leaves and stems are hairy all over - scratchy rather than downy.

It's trying colonise a corner of the veg patch but I wanted to check if it was useful for anything before I grubbed it all out...
Treacodactyl

It looks like Garlic mustard, Alliaria petiolata, to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_Mustard
Tilia

That's what I had hoped but it doesn't smell garlicky...
tahir

I'd say it smells more mustardy than garlicky
Tilia

it just smells kind of planty...
tahir

Well I couldn't ID it as garlic mustard hence didn't. The leaves look a bit wrong to me. Lets wait and see what others think but if it just smells planty then it's unlikely to be garlic mustard.

Any in flower?
Jam Lady

Garlic mustard is a dreadful weed here in New Jersey, and elsewhere in the USA. Seeds all over the place, crowds out other plants, and now there are issues with the microrhizza its roots support, different from what should be in out woodlands so has an alleopathic effect.

The leaf is generally rounder, not tapering to a point as it appears to do in your image, Tilia. Very noticeable garlic-y scent when the leaves are crushed.

At this time of year, early June, most mature plants have finished flowering and are well along setting seeds. Roots are white, moderately thick (not like burdock, but more substantial than fibrous.) I have enough to make garlic mustard pesto for the entire neighborhood. You're welcome to come weed, I mean gather.
Tilia

no flowers yet - that'll be the clincher I suppose...

d'you think it could be burdock?
Tilia

the leaves come in pairs - each growing out of the centre of the previous pair but at 90 degrees rotated

the lower stems are purple and it's got a tap root...
Jam Lady

Garlic mustard sometimes but not always does have a little bit of purple at the very base of the stem.

When you say "taproot" Tilia, is it so massive you need a pick axe to get it out, is it more like a dandelion, or just bulkier than most fibrous rooted plants?

What you've got is not burdock. While burdock does has a massive tap root (it's called "gobo" in Japan, and is eaten) the leaves are more strap-like and somewhat shiny. That's also coming into flower now, tall spike of rather nothing much to look at greenish bronze flowers, followed by russet, flat seeds.

Still a mystery. Do let us know when it does something that might offer more of a clue and give someone here at Downsizer a chance to I.D. it.
Treacodactyl

My OH, Bugs, thinks if it's not garlic mustard it could be something like a young hollyhock.
Tilia

tis a possibility - I think i'll just have to be patient and wait til it flowers...

thanks though peeps - I'll keep you posted if I find out...
Jamanda

I don't think it looks quite right for garlic mustard either. The leaves look similar, but it isn't a tall stem. I'll ponder on it for a while.
Jamanda

If it's on your plot, could it be something cultivated that's been grown in previous years making a re-appearance?
Jamanda

If it's on your plot, could it be something cultivated that's been grown in previous years making a re-appearance?
Tilia

That's a possibility and would be a good reason why I can't find it in the flora...

any recommendations for a more general plant ID book? I've just got a wildflower one...
cab

call me an idiot, but is it honesty?
sean

Idiot. (Haven't a clue about the second bit, OH does plant knowledge so I don't have to.)
cab

sean wrote:
Idiot.

Thanks, I knew I could count on you Smile
mochyn

I'm eith you, Cab. Looks like Honesty to me. Certainly not Hollyhock, though.
Tilia

No, I have that too (never knew it was called honesty though) it been up and flowered and set seed whereas this is still growing...

It is very very similar though except it isn't rising up like the honesty it's just staying low...

I'll go double check the two leaves incase this is just a poor wee late starter...
Tilia

Nope - close inspection - different leaves.

top left - mystery plant
top right - honesty
bottom - another mystery (but it's just about to flower so I'll save myself the pain...)

the mystery plant is much more bristly and stiff than the honesty(the one in the pic has been sitting on the desk all night so it's a bit floppy)

It's also more heart shaped, less toothed and has a stalk whereas the honesty leaf comes straight off the stem. Also, the honesty has a round stem the mystery plant has a square stem...
tahir

The one on the right looks quite like garlic mustard (not a positive ID though)
Tilia

book I think I've found it!!!!!!

I think it's butterbur - I'm sure there were funny wee pink flowers there earlier in the year. It was all a bit messy and i wasn't there as much so I can't be sure but I'll check next year...

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Petasites+hybridus

I wondered if the other one was garlic mustard...
It'll be flowering any day now so that'll make it much easier...

As always Cool thanks for your help...
cab

Hmmm... Is it big enough for butterbur?
Sarah D

It could well be a butter bur. If not, my first thought was one of the teucriums - leaf is very similar to one I have growing in the shade garden by the back door; has racemes of flowers, mine now gone over. Hairy stems and leaves, non-edible , in the same family as the germanders and wood sages.
dpack

my first thought was butter burr
Jamanda

Could be butterburr. Leaves too big for a teucrium maybe?

I like this book BTW. And I've mislaid my new copy of it, having lost the copy I had for 30 years Crying or Very sad
Jam Lady

Petasites has huge leaves, the size of both hands together. In rich moist soil they'll get large enough to use leaves as an umbrella. No way are Petasites / butterbur leaves same size or smaller than garlic mustard.

Square stem suggests Labiatae, Mint family. That plant family includes Agastache and Hyssop, which have leaves similar to Tilia's pictures. But they smell minty to me. So we have clues, but still no answer.
Tilia

The one in the last picture was a wee baby one - I didn't want to pick the big one cos I want to see how big it gets. At the moment it's about a foot high and the biggest leaf so far (in the first pic) is about the size of my hand (17 x 12cm).

I'm using the Frances Rose flora which I usually find easy to use but this has got me stumped - the lack of flower doesn't help I suppose.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home