Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Gavin Bl

Celandines

Hi all
Just saw the article on Wild Food in march, with the Celandines - just checking, are Celandines edible across the board.

I've got a fair amount of this in my garden, and round and about, but while definitely a celandine, looks a little different to the one pictured. Main diff I can think of off the top of my head, is a dark strip down the middle of the leaf.

any thoughts?
cheers
Gav
cab

Re: Celandines

Lesser celandine is the one thats edible... As for a celandine with a stripe on it, is there any chance of a picture?
Gavin Bl

cheers cab - I shall get to it tout suite when I get home. maybe its more of a splodge than a stripe....
Gavin Bl

Sorry Cab - bit slack of me, these are the ones I was talking about

can you see what I mean about the dark mark down the centre of the leaf?

cheers
Gav
Jamanda

Look like R ficaria to me. They have very variable patterns on the leaves. I vaguely rememer doing some genetic study of them. All the ones in a locality will be very similar because they are clones. They don't sexually reproduce because the are massively polyploid. Blimey, who'd have thought that would come in useful 20 years on? I haven't tried eating them though.
cab

Jamanda wrote:
Look like R ficaria to me. They have very variable patterns on the leaves. I vaguely rememer doing some genetic study of them. All the ones in a locality will be very similar because they are clones. They don't sexually reproduce because the are massively polyploid. Blimey, who'd have thought that would come in useful 20 years on? I haven't tried eating them though.

Really? I didn't know any of that. They certainly spread like anybodys business though.

Anyhoo, thats definitely a lesser celandine Smile

They're not THAT tasty, but the flowers look absolutely fab in a salad, and the leaves are okay; you can get some bright red leaved cultivars, I've got one called 'brazen hussy', and the little heart shaped leaves are out just in time for a spring salad around Valentines day.

The roots have little tubery things, that are meant to look like piles, hence the old name of 'pilewort'. Apparently fried off in butter those nodules are also tasty, I think it was Wildfoodjunkie telling me about that.
Gavin Bl

fantastic, thanks cab and jamanda - I've been wondering how I could control them - and now I know!!

cheers
Gav
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home