Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
fungi2bwith

Chanterelles

I thought that after the near drought conditions we've had in Hampshire that it would take weeks of rain before chanterelles would show. However, I ate my first of the year yesterday. And there are a few more patches where they are just poking through.
PeteS

Indeed, I've been picking them ever since the end of May. Chanterelles always appear at the end of May whatever the weather. Here is a recent lunch - scrambled egg, wood sorrel, Hogweed buds, chanterelles and a bit of parsley...

If you haven't tried hogweed buds before I suggest you do. They are far better in taste and texture than the shoots. In fact I'd say it's my favorite wild green. Of course don't mix it up with giant hogweed!

Been away from forums and computers in general recently, however, been doing a lot of foraging.
Northern Boy

Hurrah!
mochyn

I'll have to have a butchers at our patch. Cahnaterelles and, last year, Horns of Plenty.
Duane Dibbley

Thanks for the 'heads up' i can feel a forest walk coming on Very Happy
fungi2bwith

Fried hogweed buds

If you haven't tried hogweed buds before I suggest you do. They are far better in taste and texture than the shoots. In fact I'd say it's my favorite wild green. Of course don't mix it up with giant hogweed!

I've really got a taste for hogweed. I agree that the buds are better.

To make hogweed shoots/buds more substantial and to be the main part of the meal I suggest the following which I found excellent:
1. Beat an egg and season well
2. Add breadcrumbs
3. Coat buds/shoots in eggy mixture
4. Fry until outside browned
5. Squeeze plenty of lemon juice over
6. Serve

Garry
Dabinett

Could any hampshire people point me in the right direction or give any tips for finding chanterelles?
I only really developed an interest in foraging around autumn last year and went for various walks around the New Forest with no success.
From what I've read they are found beneath a very broad range of tree types, but are there any particular types where they are more common?
I might try to get out this weekend, but it's a big place and don't know what area to head for.
Cheers for any help.
mochyn

None here yet. We'll have another look next week. They seem to grow in the same area as Horns of Plenty here.
jamanda

Could any hampshire people point me in the right direction or give any tips for finding chanterelles?
I only really developed an interest in foraging around autumn last year and went for various walks around the New Forest with no success.
From what I've read they are found beneath a very broad range of tree types, but are there any particular types where they are more common?
I might try to get out this weekend, but it's a big place and don't know what area to head for.
Cheers for any help.

I think it's just a case of keeping your eyes out. They are quite distinctively bright orange. My spot is on the edge of a conifer plantation in a strip of deciduous birch and alder type stuff.
Duane Dibbley

Found my first of the year today - only a handful but it was a new location for me Very Happy Usual places didn't have anything showing Sad fatboy

I had a bit of luck yesterday while I was walking my dog. I found about 800g of nice fresh ones.

I wasn't even looking for them, having given up any hope of finding mushrooms a couple of monthd ago. It's bone dry out here in East Anglia, but these were next to a bog.

I'm having them tonight using Stevie Parle's "Girolle Pilau" recipe with a fried sea bass fillet with crispy skin.

hedgehogpie

Have yet to find a chantie anywhere near here. Crying or Very sad Duane Dibbley

They are really starting to come up here now Very Happy bubble

Have yet to find a chantie anywhere near here. Crying or Very sad go up to the sweet chestnut woods near Canterbury and perhaps you'll find some chanterelles[ in England they are mostly associated with above tree and sloping ground-just a little hint] Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ninat

We've got them growing in our garden Very Happy Very Happy OH has been duly instructed not to mow that patch. They first appeared 2 years ago -just one or two, but this year is a much larger affair. Growing at the foot of 2 silver birch. Northern Boy

We've got them growing in our garden Very Happy Very Happy OH has been duly instructed not to mow that patch. They first appeared 2 years ago -just one or two, but this year is a much larger affair. Growing at the foot of 2 silver birch.

Wow, lucky you, congratulations!!
hedgehogpie

Thanks Bubble, will do. Very Happy

Deeply envious ninat, can't think of many folks who can claim their own private in-garden chanterelle patch.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home