Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Cathryn

Christmas Craft Fair, Aberystwyth

I was wondering if any crafts people would be interested in selling at this at all? Would it help if I kept an eye on the stall/s and restocked them for you regularly? If this is the reason that's stopped you in the past then I would be very pleased to help. We have space to store stuff here as well. EV, Mochyn, gz (although I know your family are local), anyone?
earthyvirgo

Where is this held Cathryn?

I might be interested as the last two Christmas Fairs I've done were manned by the organising venues and the words "p**s up" and "brewery" come to mind.

Is this something the artists/craftpeople run themselves?

EV
Jamanda

I think she means the one that's held in the Arts Centre on the university campus.
Cathryn

It is held in the Arts Centre every year. It's become a regular thing and it's good but it could do with lots of new blood. There is always someone new and I nearly always do a lot of my Christmas shopping there. I enquired years ago about the cost and the percentage seemed quite high but I don't know what it "normally" is. It's open stalls in the main foyer and it is manned by Arts Centre staff. I don't know how efficient that makes it for sellers but for buyers it works fine. I was thinking of it now because of wanting to do something for gz. Sad But you would probably need to be thinking about booking around now anyway. It is always full. They also expand the shop into the open space near the cafe as well.
Cathryn

If you google Aberystwyth Arts Centre Christmas Craft Fair you can get some idea. For example
earthyvirgo

It is held in the Arts Centre every year. It's become a regular thing and it's good but it could do with lots of new blood. There is always someone new and I nearly always do a lot of my Christmas shopping there. I enquired years ago about the cost and the percentage seemed quite high but I don't know what it "normally" is. It's open stalls in the main foyer and it is manned by Arts Centre staff. I don't know how efficient that makes it for sellers but for buyers it works fine. I was thinking of it now because of wanting to do something for gz. Sad But you would probably need to be thinking about booking around now anyway. It is always full. They also expand the shop into the open space near the cafe as well.

It's a lovely venue.

'Normal' % commission is getting higher and higher. 40 - 50% is generally a given for exhibitions ...I sense (having chatted briefly with frewen about this recently) that in Craft outlets, it's even higher!. Quite a painful chunk ... makes website and private sales very attractive in comparison.

I'll look into it I think.
As my cards are in the shop, people might be familiar with my work and it could be worth doing something specifically for that time of year and audience ...maybe smaller, two colour work?

EV
gz

I think the closing date is some time in August
earthyvirgo

Have just had a response for AAC, entry forms/applications will be sent out late June (by email I think).

I'll forward the relevant info on to anyone who's interested when it arrives.

EV
mochyn

Is there any way of doing a combined Downsizer one?
earthyvirgo

Is there any way of doing a combined Downsizer one?

I might be possible.

I think the stands are quite small tho' ... if they use the ones I'm thinking of.

Tall, free standing circular towers divided into quarters.
Cathryn will know what they use.

EV
gz

I need to do that one. Tan has said that if I get a place she will make sure that it is restocked.
A ds stand sounds a good idea too
Cathryn

Some of the displays are a shelf or two. Some are hanging space. You could ask for the information or I can pop up and talk to them? earthyvirgo

Some of the displays are a shelf or two. Some are hanging space. You could ask for the information or I can pop up and talk to them?

I was going to say we could see what's offered in the blurb but if it's not a nuisance and you were thinking of popping in anyway, it would be handy to know.

EV
frewen

I am not going to do any fairs this year. I am going to rent a few shelves/retail space in a local arts/crafts cafe that has just started up. If I hit on a productive vein of goods with a healthy return then I'll thing of doing fairs next year Smile Cathryn

Some of the displays are a shelf or two. Some are hanging space. You could ask for the information or I can pop up and talk to them?

I was going to say we could see what's offered in the blurb but if it's not a nuisance and you were thinking of popping in anyway, it would be handy to know.

EV

I will call in there sometime this week and get as much information as I can.
mochyn

EV

I will call in there sometime this week and get as much information as I can.

I'd be interested to hear what you find out, m'dear.
Cathryn

I've just been to have a chat with Andy at the Arts Centre. The marketing team had already picked up this thread and are drafting a reply. Smile

Anyway, I will preempt them slightly but they might want to correct or fill in as necessary. Wink

They have found that group bookings tend not to work. The stuff doesn't sell well. The display tends not to be eyecatching because it lacks coherence. There can, in a few cases, be internal problems for the group.

There are options of wall displays (metre width) and the gondolas (six shelves). These can be split in half, half a metre strips or three shelves. Sorry cannot remember now if that is at the discretion of the Arts Centre but I imagine so as they have a business to run and have the expertise to know what will sell and how to do it. In any case, they will be very happy to talk it through with anyone who is interested. The forms will be going our next week and those interested should apply. I said that we were meeting up next weekend and would discuss it further.

They would of course not turn away someone who has been successfully selling with them for years but they do encourage new people to apply and always have a percentage of new makers at the Fair.
gz

Have emailed requesting details and form Smile earthyvirgo

I've just been to have a chat with Andy at the Arts Centre. The marketing team had already picked up this thread and are drafting a reply. Smile

Anyway, I will preempt them slightly but they might want to correct or fill in as necessary. Wink

They have found that group bookings tend not to work. The stuff doesn't sell well. The display tends not to be eyecatching because it lacks coherence. There can, in a few cases, be internal problems for the group.

There are options of wall displays (metre width) and the gondolas (six shelves). These can be split in half, half a metre strips or three shelves. Sorry cannot remember now if that is at the discretion of the Arts Centre but I imagine so as they have a business to run and have the expertise to know what will sell and how to do it. In any case, they will be very happy to talk it through with anyone who is interested. The forms will be going our next week and those interested should apply. I said that we were meeting up next weekend and would discuss it further.

They would of course not turn away someone who has been successfully selling with them for years but they do encourage new people to apply and always have a percentage of new makers at the Fair.

Thanks for finding that out Cathryn. I didn't realise they would have wall space. That would be the best option for me.

EV
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home