Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
dickie

Colybia Dryophila?

I think I found some Colybia Dryophila (Ruset Shank) today.

Caps cream to buff coloured, stem hollow and fibrous light brown darkening very slightly towards the base, flesh white and fairly thin, gills cream, fairly crowded and adnexed. The caps are wavy and thin at the margin and thereís a small band at the margin that is very thin and looks translucent (the cuticle?) Iím currently waiting for the results of a spore print.

If they are Colybia Dryophila then Roger lists them as edible but not worth while, other books I have looked at suggest they must be cooked before eating.

dickie

Additional

I should have mentioned that I found them growing amongst heather and grass, there were a few oak and birch trees about but not much leaf litter where I found the mushrooms growing.
cab

Could be that, but its awful hard to split those Collybia species up. Check also with Collybia maculata.

Early in the year for C. dryophila.
dickie

Thanks again cab.

I got the spore print and so far as I could tell it was white but could have been cream I guess, still, interesting ID practice for me.
cab

Its well worth taking a few unknowns home once in a while to key them out, see what they are. Eventually, you find that you know all the species on your own 'patch', although there will always be some new ones that turn up and challenge you.

And you'll never know them all on every patch, no one does, but the more you practice, the better you get Smile
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home