Courgette MuffinsCourgette Muffins (or one big cake)
250g grated courgette
4 tbls orange juice
2 tbls honey
3 large free range eggs
175ml sunflower oil
200g light muscovado sugar
225g SR flour
0.5 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
60g almonds, toasted and chopped
grated zest of two limes
1. Preheat oven to 180C/fan160C/gas4. Line muffin tins with cases or line one 23cm loose bottom cake tin.
2. Grate courgettes and squeeze out as much water as possible. Pat dry with kitchen towel
3. Put sultanas in small pan with honey and orange juice. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes or until orange juice is absorbed. Be careful not to let it burn!
4. Put eggs, oil and sugar into a large bowl and whisk about 3 minutes with electric beater. Sift in flour, b/p and bicarb. Fold in toasted almonds, courgettes, sultanas and lime zest.
5. Spoon into muffin cases, or large tin, bake muffins for 25-30 minutes, cake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Fill muffin cases two thirds full.
6. Leave to cool then ice if required with glace icing made with icing sugar and lime juice or with frosting made with:
300g half fat cream cheese
50g icing sugar
the juice of two limes
Mix together and spread on muffins and top with grated zest or finely chopped and toasted almonds if required
Also wonderful with nothing on top at all. Do try these. They’re really easy to make and absolutely lush!