Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Handmade Lives

Craftspeople Types Which are you?

I have identified twelve different types ranging from The Phoneix to the Thoroughbred. Take a look and see which you reckon you are.
http://handmadelives.wordpress.com/

So far the Beavers followed by the Wrens are running ahead

The Beaver
Never stops, works away; never flies, never drowns. Lives on an even keel, sensible, reliable, content. Sells steadily and has a weekly routine.
T.G

It may just be me, but reading them they all appear to be negative, even the beaver appears to be a bit of a muppet, never achieving much more than staying in the same place. At best the others basically seem to be insulting caricaturesí, for instance, the mother hen; itís almost sniggering from afar at someone who is doing their best,

Quote:
The Mother Hen
Her stall looks like a jumble sale, her website bursting at the seams with conflicting messages and her artist profile will tell you about her family. Her work is apparently photographed at twilight and is never centre frame. She is a skilled crafts woman invariably making something ugly and unfashionable. She is liked by all and always has toffees in her bag.

She may not see her work as ugly and surely craft is a form of artful expression and art, as we all know, is individual, one mans art is another mans dustbin fodder. Wink
gil

It may just be me, but reading them they all appear to be negative

Perhaps they are designed that way to create embarrassment / feelings of inadequacy in the craftsperson who reads them, so they will then pay for business consultancy services to cure themselves.

I spy a marketing ploy......
earthyvirgo

I don't feel I'm any of those

EV
wellington womble

I think they are designed to help craftspeople be better business people (which so often don't go together) by pointing out likely flaws. Although criticism is very hard to hear, if you can't acknowledge and adress your weaknesses, you have no hope of building a successful business (unless you are very, very lucky and who wants to rely on that?). It is a least a little tongue-on-cheek to soften the blow.
Handmade Lives

It may just be me, but reading them they all appear to be negative

Perhaps they are designed that way to create embarrassment / feelings of inadequacy in the craftsperson who reads them, so they will then pay for business consultancy services to cure themselves.

I spy a marketing ploy......

Surprised heavens it was just supposed to be a bit of fun. How can it be a marketing ploy I am not selling anything. I also anounced who I thought I was at the end Its supposed to amuse, havent you ever looked around at shows and thought about the types you see?
Handmade Lives

I think they are designed to help craftspeople be better business people

Thank you for your defence but I wasnt even trying to help people be better, it was far shallower, it really was entirely for fun
Handmade Lives

Quote:
they all appear to be negative

I could hardly write the types so people could say how wonderful they were they are all a bit tongue in cheek but that is not in any way an attack on any one

It was writen to amuse, clearly it irritated you and I am really sorry that it did, as that was never my intention. I hope you are in the minority as the feedback up till now has been one of shared amusement In fact you rather took me by surprise.
earthyvirgo

Quote:

I could hardly write the types so people could say how wonderful they were they are all a bit tongue in cheek but that is not in any way an attack on any one

It was writen to amuse, clearly it irritated you and I am really sorry that it did, as that was never my intention. I hope you are in the minority as the feedback up till now has been one of shared amusement In fact you rather took me by surprise.

'Fraid I probably took it the wrong way too.
I guess sometimes, when one is working hard towards a goal, a list of stereotypes (which would otherwise be amusing) hits the wrong note.

Just don't do any gender stereotyping!! Wink

EV
T.G

Quote:

Not irritated, more curious, just wondered as to why they were all written with such a negative slant to them, maybe it was how I read them.
Handmade Lives

If you take a cartoon to be negative, then yes they are negative that is where the humour lies You havent misread them, what you have misread is the intent.

Up until this forum the reaction has been one of amusement with lots of people sharing in the fun by voting for the one they are the most like it never occured to me that anyone would feel criticised or diminished by it. Its a group having a laugh at themselves.
alice

I think maybe it's because the folk here are not the same folk who frequent your blog. Your blog is personal, yes? But we're only just getting to know you from your posts in the Small Business section and your first posts were about the pitfalls of small craft businesses - you gave a robust critique of a few websites/businesses. I'm afraid it might have appeared that you were still wearing the same hat Confused
The misunderstanding lies there I think.
Handmade Lives

Handmade Lives is really about looking at the realities of making a self employed living from a craft or art. Its main occupation is to profile people in real depth,without fluff, about their business.

I write it because I am interested and its my part of my world. I think its really helpful if there is a place where you can think about how things are going in a young business and draw from other people's experience.

The quizes are just off shoots from that, they are ways of putting together some conclusions drawn from the profiles and from forum discussions elsewhere. They are supposed to be easy routes into a bit of reflection but this one wasnt aiming to achieve more than five minutes amusement and harmless people watching. I thought I would follow the Deadly Sins with something lighter
Vanessa

Well, I think I'm a three-way mix; mostly wren, with quite a bit of beaver ... and a scary little tinge of phoenix! Laughing Handmade Lives

Better than me then, I am Rottweiler with Phoenix which is petty unstable. I wrote it thinking of the types I'd seen, bit of a surprise when I looked for my make up at the end. But then I had never really thought about types before. It was writing the follow ups to the Seven Deadly Sins that made me realise that I was beginning to categorise.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home