Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Hairyloon

Crowd Funding

I seem to recall somebody on here using a crowdfunding website to launch an idea.
Google has come up with no end of them... do we know which ones are any good?
sally_in_wales

I used crowdfunder.co.uk to raise funds for my Victorian Soap project, am expecting the funds through any day now. I found them very easy to set uo and deal with, the only criticism I had was that they get the investors to cover the paypal fees rather than passing those on to the person requesting the funding, seemed a bit unfair to me
Hairyloon

I used crowdfunder.co.uk to raise funds for my Victorian Soap project...

Yes, I glanced at the site at the time, and stuck you a plug on facebook.
I can't get on the site at the moment. Do they only pay out when you've reached the stated target, or can you do it progressively?
woodsprite

As far as my research goes they only pay out when you achieve target.
I'll be trying one out to help fund a tour of a new play soon. Hope I'm as successful as Sally was. :0) What do you want help with HL?
Hairyloon

What do you want help with HL?

I want to bring down the government. Wink
T.G

So what does the funder receive, if anything.... or is it based more on just the knowledge of doing something selfless, which is often more than enough? Hairyloon

So what does the funder receive, if anything....
That would depend on the fundee, and the nature of the project being funded.
Quote:
or is it based more on just the knowledge of doing something selfless, which is often more than enough?

Often that will be it, yes.
T.G

Cool, I quite lke the sound of that. bagpuss

For the projects I have seen like Sally's the funded project has some sort of output so the funder gets some sort of reward which is determined by their level of investment Nick

Sally agreed to rub us all down with soap. Loon, I thought you lacked focus and ambition? Are you a wise bet? Rob R

Maybe I should use crowd funding to get the yard concreted - not sure what I could offer in return though, other than them not getting muddy when they walk through it... Nick

50% off 3 meat boxes. Cash for you. Customers for you. Loyal ones at that, or no cost. Rob R

Hmm, will have to do some number crunching... bagpuss

There are generally levels of reward the larger the investment the better the reward so 10 could be a money off voucher for their next purchase 50 could be multiple money off and 100 multiple money off and a visit to the farm to see the cows and get tea and cake or something bagpuss

One of the important aspects of crowd funding it spreading the message wide enough so to find the people who will actuall give you money up front Hairyloon

Sally agreed to rub us all down with soap.
I missed that offer. Wink
Quote:
Loon, I thought you lacked focus and ambition?

Very true. I'm looking for ways to find focus.
Put a job in front of me and I'm generally very good at doing it... unless it is a job with no purpose.
Quote:
Are you a wise bet?

It's a bit like poker. The bet depends on the whole hand, and I've only got two of the cards...
Barefoot Andrew

For those that have traversed this route already, have you encountered any rules or ethics that would prohibit two concurrent crowdfunded projects - either via the same site or via separate sites?

A.
sally_in_wales

I wonder if you'd have problems when promoting the idea, as it seems to work best when you start by targetting people who know you, and it spreads from there. So, social networking is a major route to attract funders. With two pitches, you still only have the same starting pool of contacts to approach. Barefoot Andrew

My thoughts too. I wonder if there's a way of mingling the two ideas I have in mind into one. Somehow.
A.
Hairyloon

Coming back to this... I know that some of you have tried a few different crowdfunding platforms.
Any chance of a brief review of what each one is like?
Rob R

They all gather money on your behalf, adding an air of legitimacy and taking a cut of the proceeds. Hairyloon

They all gather money on your behalf, adding an air of legitimacy and taking a cut of the proceeds.
I knew that much. Confused
Rob R

That's all there is to know, you can compare the rates and the legitimacy of each one, I guess.

Peoplefund.it (the one Nat used for Jersey Beef) charged 5% + 3% transaction fees, so 8% in total.
Shan

My thoughts too. I wonder if there's a way of mingling the two ideas I have in mind into one. Somehow.
A.

Could you do it as some sort of staged funding?
Barefoot Andrew

That situation no long exists.
A.
vegplot

I wonder if the film industry uses crowd funding to fund crowds. Rob R

Sometimes, yes. Penny Outskirts

I wonder if the film industry uses crowd funding to fund crowds.

Snigger
Barefoot Andrew

Crowdfunder UK are running a crowding funding hour on Twitter this evening from 5pm. Simply follow hashtag #crowdfunder to participate.

See https://twitter.com/crowdfunderuk/status/380619892036104192.
A.
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home