Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Maxwell

Dirt Cheap Food Dehydrators

Been doing some hunting around and found some real cheap ones for under 30 Smile The vast majority of the ones I've seen available online are over 100 which is crazy compared to the prices in other countries! Rolling Eyes

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?nest=/ukgscripts/detail.dll?it
em=823860&ref=fgl

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/household/kitchen/cooking_desiccating_g
rilling/desiccating_appliances/193811-food_dehydrator.htm?vbSESSID=7f09
03bf151943525150f31a2e1f8eea

I went for the one from QVC and it should be arriving tomorrow, I'll let you all know how it works out.
Bernie66

Cheers mate, I havbe been browsing around considering getting one this season.
dougal

Hmmm. QVC one @ 32 inc delivery looks awfully similar to the last Tchibo one.
Or is my memory playing tricks?

IIRC, people were very pleased with their Tchibo dehydrators.
cab

Looks very like the tchibo one.

I had an ezidri, a marvellous purchase for a fiver from a boot sale, but it died. Its performance was better than the tchibo one, which is excellent for the price but which doesn't dry quite as evenly as the ezidri did. Still, an excellent purchase.
wildfoodie

Thanks for those links Maxwell - I was a qvc virgin until now!! Laughing
I've been borrowing a mate's dehydrator just recently for a stash of plum leathers which do take ages to dry - 10 hours plus. So I've been wondering about my carbon footprint - anyone know how energy efficient or otherwise these dehydrators are?
I would love to get hold of a solar powered one.... or even an inventor who could make me a solar powered one....
cab

wildfood junkie wrote:

I would love to get hold of a solar powered one.... or even an inventor who could make me a solar powered one....

Many timesI've drie mushrooms by slicing them thin, threading on to cotton and hanging them in a sunny window.
wildfoodie

threading on to cotton and hanging them in a sunny window.
hmmm I forsee a problem using this method for fruit leathers Laughing
Tavascarow

What about the solar wax melter beekeepers use. Something similar should work with fruit srooms etc.
cab

wildfood junkie wrote:
threading on to cotton and hanging them in a sunny window.
hmmm I forsee a problem using this method for fruit leathers Laughing

Indeed... I'd buy a dried for that, I think Laughing
Nick J

You could try looking at: www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/soldehyd.htm
No real outlay, no carbon footprint. I fancy having a go at one of these when I get the time but looking for long term usage by using wood for construction.
mochyn

Nick J wrote:
No real outlay, no carbon footprint. I fancy having a go at one of these when I get the time but looking for long term usage by using wood for construction.

Now that's my kind of dehydrator. I shall have a good browse on that site later.
wildfoodie

hmmm interesting lo tech solution
so that's what downsizing is about!!!
I was imagining something with a solar panel, lots of wire and a
couple of buttons.... and i don't even have a science gcse to my name... baaah! Rolling Eyes
dougal

mochyn wrote:
Nick J wrote:

Now that's my kind of dehydrator. I shall have a good browse on that site later.

As seen here last year!
http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?p=85144#85144

But I rather like Ziggy's idea of using a house window as the glazing over the solar collector
http://forum.downsizer.net/viewtopic.php?t=11599
Maxwell

Well, the QVC dehydrator works great!

So far I've dried three batches of field mushrooms (Agaricus campestris), one batch of Fairy Ring Champignons (Marasmius oreades) and made some Green Gage leathers Very Happy

Anyone tried drying blackberries before??? Thought they might be a nice addition to a cereal...
wildfoodie

Quote:
Anyone tried drying blackberries before???

I did some end of last season. Result: faintly sweet horticultural grit...
but it might be more successful with bigger specimens.
Freezing raw blackberries on a tray then bagging before they get all frosty works well. .
moongoddess

how do make a fruit leather?
Everyday, dd goes to school with a fruit leather I have *bought* from the health food shop; I'd love to be able to make my own, with no nasties in it.

I think I might have a go at drying some plums today. Dried prunes are one of dd's favourite snacks.............

mg x
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home