Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
jp

Distribution of Shroom Species

The recent posts about Field Blewits (L saeva) being incredibly common in some parts of the country & seemingly non-existent in others (e.g. here Sad ) got me hunting on the internet for species distribution mapping info. Slightly astonishingly I found some. This website has such info for just about every fungus known to man (at least in the UK): http://194.203.77.76/fieldmycology/
It is run by the BMS, & seems to have sufficient data to see broad regional differences in frequency of finds. Although it is unwise to over-simplify or to place great reliance on the data, it may at least allow general assumptions to be made about whether you have a sporting chance of finding any given species in your area. So going back to our old friend the Field Blewit, there seem to be plenty of recorded finds in a band in roughly central part of the UK mainland, but fewer south of there - so Bingo, Doc & I may be onto a loser looking for this Shroom. Wood Blewits (L nuda) on the otherhand seem to be pretty common down south (& elsewhere) so worthwhile hunting them out.
Has anyone else looked at this database in the past?
bingo

That maybe so but I went specificly looking for Wood Blewits on Sunday and found none. The place I went is good for Ceps, Trumpet, Winter Chanterelle, Chanterelle, Hedgehogs, Parasols, Honey fungus, shall I go on? Basicly Its good for most mushrooms both edible and not. Its a wood about 1 mile square, deciduous and a smaller coniferous patch (although is surrounded by coniferous inclosures). I can't find Blewits here, I don't think they grow here.
I'm going to try other places this weekend.
Interesting.

Hint... This is my good spot.
Hint.... Its near Lyndhurst.
hedgehogpie

Yup. I posted a link to it in reply to skedone's gps idea as while ago. It's a very useful resource.
doctoral

bingo wrote:
That maybe so but I went specificly looking for Wood Blewits on Sunday and found none. The place I went is good for Ceps, Trumpet, Winter Chanterelle, Chanterelle, Hedgehogs, Parasols, Honey fungus, shall I go on? Basicly Its good for most mushrooms both edible and not. Its a wood about 1 mile square, deciduous and a smaller coniferous patch (although is surrounded by coniferous inclosures). I can't find Blewits here, I don't think they grow here.
I'm going to try other places this weekend.
Interesting.

Hint... This is my good spot.
Hint.... Its near Lyndhurst.

It looks perfect!!!!
doctoral

All the lepista nudas appear to be down your neck of the woods, Bingo!!!
cab

jp, that does look like an interesting resouce. Don't know quite how best to use it, though.
doctoral

cab wrote:
jp, that does look like an interesting resouce. Don't know quite how best to use it, though.

... as far as I can tell, the data is somewhat old ...
doctoral

My apologies, I am wrong ...

http://194.203.77.76/fieldmycology/FRDBI/stats/RecordStats.htm
jp

Bingo, your foraging spot looks good - though water wings or a wetsuit would seem to be in order after all the recent rain. looking forward to the next forage invite... Very Happy
jp

Quote:

Yeah, I thought so too Cab - & was also wondering how it could best be used. The data seems only sufficient to make broad assumptions about the probability of finding a species in your region - inevitably local differences one way or the other will occur. But it might help you to decide if hunting a particular species has a real chance of success or whether you are better concentrating on more promising shrooms. The L Saeva versus L Nuda example I gave is probably a good case in point for my area. But as Bingo has pointed out, he can't find L Nuda in his patch (New Forest) at all - but the map shows high probability in the south of England for L nuda - local variability being the problem. It is probably also useful for anyone who occasionally forages for shrooms well outside their region - might help them figure out what may be available & therefore the sort of habitat they should concentrate on.

I'd be interested to know if others can think of good ways to use the data.
jp

Quote:
Yup. I posted a link to it in reply to skedone's gps idea as while ago. It's a very useful resource.

Ooops - sorry Hedghogpie, I missed your reply with the link to this site in the GPS post. Embarassed
bingo

JP, I've decided I'm not taking a anyone to the above spot its just a tease. Maybe someone can figure it out? I promise If someone gets it I will make it public. Hey Zarza where are you? I recon you would give it a good guess (remember the oak leaf). Yeah, we will have to do it again sometime. Proberly After Christmas. I would like to find some Morels, I've never found any, lets get together spring 2007. I have a feeling they "mite" grow near or thereabout that place I took you, who knows, its got to be worth a try.

I would like to point out that I have found wood blewits in other parts of the Forest but never many. In the spot above, maybe its something to do with the soil? Cab?
hedgehogpie

Laughing Don't worry jp. I was considering looking at the distribution map and linking it to a geological one. Might be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut tho'. Ground observations from forum members could be linked to it too, see whether the data still holds in the regions shown.
Stewy

bingo wrote:
JP, I've decided I'm not taking a anyone to the above spot its just a tease. Maybe someone can figure it out? I promise If someone gets it I will make it public. Hey Zarza where are you? I recon you would give it a good guess (remember the oak leaf). Yeah, we will have to do it again sometime. Proberly After Christmas. I would like to find some Morels, I've never found any, lets get together spring 2007. I have a feeling they "mite" grow near or thereabout that place I took you, who knows, its got to be worth a try.

I would like to point out that I have found wood blewits in other parts of the Forest but never many. In the spot above, maybe its something to do with the soil? Cab?

Is there a pub nearby Bingo?
bingo

Stewy wrote:

Is there a pub nearby Bingo?

Not walking distance. Well 15mins walk.
PeteS

Hi,

I started mushroom picking in the middle of October - it was something to do while walking the dog - and I have to say that I've got really into it. I never knew that there was so many wonderful tasts and varieties of mushrooms just waiting to be pick, and right on my doorstep. In this short space of time I have picked and eaten:

Field
Horse
Cep
Bay Bolete
Parasol
Cauliflower
Chanterelle
Hedghog
Winter Chaterelle
Blewit

I might have missed something out. I found the Blewits about 2.5 weeks ago and have had a constant supply ever since, more than I can eat. Does anyone know the best way to preserve them? By the way, they are not far from the New Forest - infact just a few miles down the road.

I wish I'd seen this forum earlier - it would have saved a lot of hassel.
bingo

Welcome to downsiser Pete.
doctoral

Hi Pete - congrats on finding that lot - it sounds like you are in the right part of the country!
mimborin

Hi Pete and welcome. I like to see another Hampshire Downsizer. Sounds like you have found some good mushrooms. On interest, were the blewits the wood variety or field? I like others can only seem to find the wood variety in Hampshire.
doctoral

field blewits aren't as common as wood blewits - especially around here, it seems ... '1 v 0' so far!
PeteS

Hi,

Yes, they were wood blewits. I have not found any field blewits. They are only 5 to 10 mins walk from my front door and I tend to pick just enough to eat from a couple of patches, one of which is growing in a ring, when I walk my dog early in the morning.

I have not found any blewits in the New Forest. Maybe the soil is too acidic? They also tend to be in leaf litter and can be very difficult to spot, especially when young, as their caps are almost the same colour as the leaves.

At the moment I am munching my way through a nice supply of winter chanterelles, hedgehog mushrooms and wood blewits. I think that this is the last of my hedgehogs for this year Crying or Very sad
doctoral

I don't find the hedgehogs around here at all, so lucky you!
bingo

Don't be so sure Pete. Hedgehogs are still about and in a Forest near you.
jp

Welcome Pete - sounds like we are not a million miles away from each other. Maybe we can get together with a few other like minded folks who live nearby for a forage. You seem to be a man who can find shrooms! Very Happy
doctoral

Smile Count me in as a 'like-minded-folk'!
PeteS

Sounds a good idea! I will go out on Saturday morning, probably the New Forest but might try somewhere new - just for a change.
doctoral

I went out for a walk this morning and found my second wood blewit for the season, doubling the original count - they are out there (somewhere) and I intend to find a few more. Oh, by the way I also found a couple of earth stars - seem to be quite rare these days. I will post a pic if I can get the camera working properly. Confused
bingo

I can do Sunday morning.
doctoral

I can't, unfortunately. Christmas duties are starting early this year ...
bingo

No worries Doc.
doctoral

That was quick !!!
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home