Mary-Jane

Doctor Who starts again tonight...

...which I am looking forward to Very Happy
Sally Too

Me too... Embarassed
Nell Merionwen

me three.... Embarassed
jema

We're saving it till tomorrow when Amipest is back, so will have to work hard avoiding spoilers.
Finsky

Do you lot like the current doctor? I stopped watching the series when the actors changed. I'd like to watch but just can't stand him.
Barefoot Andrew

I think Matt Smith is one of the best doctors.

*awaits stoning*
A.
woodsprite

Consider this the first stone Very Happy
I think he's dreadful and I'm sad to say that I no longer watch Crying or Very sad
Rob R

Do you lot like the current doctor?

No, he doesn't seem to have any medical knowledge at all... Wink
Barefoot Andrew

Consider this the first stone Very Happy

Laughing
A.
Nell Merionwen

He's the second best. Nothing will ever top Tennant.
Best episode ever?
Mithril

Yay Smile Hairyloon

He's the second best. Nothing will ever top Tennant.
Best episode ever?
It is not a fair comparison though. They didn't have anything like the technology or the budget back in the old days.
Mary-Jane

I think Matt Smith is one of the best doctors.

*awaits stoning*
A.

I agree BA.
*Stands next to BA to await stoning*
woodsprite

incoming Very Happy mochyn

I loved Patrick Troughton. AnnaD

I like the new Doctor, but I don't like the episodes. I guess they must have changed writers because it's just not as good as it used to be. Mary-Jane

Jack (aged 18 ) asked me how old I was this morning and when I said [secret number] he replied "OMG Mum, you've been watching Doctor Who for like, nearly your whole life!" Neutral lettucewoman

1: agree with mochyn
2: Stone number two coming....loath Matt Smith, although some of the storylines have been rubbish too...will watch tonight and am really hoping for a good story!!
jema

Tolerable as a Doctor, not helped by some really lame scripts lately. joanne

I'm sure you lot are all watching a different show to me!

Matt Smith is utterly fantastic and is up there with Tom Baker for me, don't get me wrong I absolutely adore David Tennant, he's pretty, funny and very very good at being the Doctor but Matt plays him in such a manic and 'old yet young' way he brings all the different personalities that the Doctor has been together!

I also think that the Christmas episodes (apart from this years which was wonderful) are the only ones that have been fairly weak under Moffatt's management, the scripts are clever, twisty and intelligent but still managing to appeal to children

I'm quite excited at seeing Tennant back for the 50th but what I'm really waiting for is confirmation that McGann and Eccleston are also going to be back, especially McGann as he's never had the chance to play the Doctor on the small screen and his Big Finish Audio's are excellent

Edited to add - Please don't ever start talking to the Gothboy about Doctor Who - He's somewhat obsessed and you could be there for a very very long time!!!
Mary-Jane

I agree with Joanne. vegplot

I loved Patrick Troughton.

You're so 15th Century.

I really like Matt Smith as the Doctor and I've never been stoned before.
mochyn

You're so 15th Century.

And proud of it. Laughing
mochyn

Anyway, who needs a Tardis? Sally and I are bona fide time travellers, I'll have you know. Mary-Jane

Sally and I are bona fide time travellers, I'll have you know.

Do you know, that doesn't surprise me in the least...
mochyn

What? What? Shocked 12Bore

Why did my internet connection slow from 14mb to 3.5mb during the programme?
That's an awful lot of twittering geeks... Laughing
Nick

Green Rosie

Tom Baker was *my* doctor.

BTW many years ago when Patrick Troughton was the doctor, an episode was filmed on our farm. I am too young to remember but there used to be photos of my Dad with Patrick, The Brigadier and others including Frazer Hines. Sadly when Dad died my Mum chucked out the photos *gutted*
john of wessex

Oh Dear!1

Got the kids to bed, got supper, hid behind the sofa and it hasnt recorded!!

Anyone got the time/channel for the repeat??
Nick

Iplayer. mochyn

Is it not on iPlayer? cir3ngirl

Is it not on iPlayer?

It is now
AnnaD

Well I have to say, I was very impressed! I hope it continues to be that good. I also really liked the retro intro; it reminded me of when I watched it as a child. Barefoot Andrew

Jack (aged 18 ) asked me how old I was this morning and when I said [secret number] he replied "OMG Mum, you've been watching Doctor Who for like, nearly your whole life!" Neutral

Laughing

I much prefer Moffat as head of the writing team over RTD. Much darker and more grown-up sci fi IMHO.
A.
Nell Merionwen

Did anyone notice the author of the book? earthyvirgo

Matt Smith has even got me back into Doctor Who and I've not really watched it since Tom Baker days.

I love his energy and the quirkiness of his character.

EV
AnnaD

Jack (aged 18 ) asked me how old I was this morning and when I said [secret number] he replied "OMG Mum, you've been watching Doctor Who for like, nearly your whole life!" Neutral

Laughing

I much prefer Moffat as head of the writing team over RTD. Much darker and more grown-up sci fi IMHO.
A.

I completely agree; that's when it was at its best.
sean

Re: Doctor Who starts again tonight...

...which I am looking forward to Very Happy to which I am looking forwards? Jamanda

BW wants to know who the baddies are in it. Can anyone who watched it help out? gythagirl

Another in agreement with Joanne.

Jon Pertwee was 'my' Doctor - but having said I wouldn't watch after the wonderful Mr Tennant left, I've had to eat my words - Matt Smith is EXACTLY what & how The Doctor should be.
gythagirl

Jamanda - we don't know who'The Client' was - maybe we'll find out later on... Nell Merionwen

The client is "the great intelligence"
Which was the thing controlling DR Solomon in the Christmas edition. Hence the face of Richard E Grant.
The intelligence has been in couple of old episodes but I'm not sure which. It is a formless entity that controls things/people to do it's bidding.

Also the book was written by Amelia Williams. And who told her the number to the Tardis? the only other time I can recall it ringing was this Christmas.
Jamanda

As far as I'm concerned Tom Baker is the Doctor (though I can cope with Tristan).

BW can't cope with Dr Who ever since being traumatised by a trailer of some weeping angels at a 3d screening of Alice in Wonderland.
Nell Merionwen

As far as I'm concerned Tom Baker is the Doctor (though I can cope with Tristan).

BW can't cope with Dr Who ever since being traumatised by a trailer of some weeping angels at a 3d screening of Alice in Wonderland.

No weeping angels in this episode. Nothing that will freak him out at all (I don't think) Cool
Boy Wonder

I watched it, It was great! tad confuseing though.

E.t.a. mum, it was only because it was 3d, other wise, they aren't scary at all.
jema

We took amipest into a 3D terminator thingy at Universal Studios Mad It's still in her black book of childhood cruelties we inflicted on her Very Happy Barefoot Andrew

Laughing
A.
Sally Too

3D and me don't go...

Years ago we took our 4 children to Futurascope and there was a 3D ride - seats and all moved. I was worried about youngest (age 6) and remember telling her she could shut her eyes if she liked.

Then I turned to watch. At first it was all lovely sea scenes with dolphins etc. Then suddenly I felt I was wrestling to keep my composure. I shut my eyes and grabbed the bar holding us to our seats and just did deep breathing and calming thoughts until it was over. Shocked

Later we all discussed it and of course I'd seen nothing whatsoever of the sequence... and the kids LOVED it and ran off to go on another.

I went for coffee! Cool
robkb

especially McGann as he's never had the chance to play the Doctor on the small screen and his Big Finish Audio's are excellent

Ahem...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_(1996_film)
NorthernMonkeyGirl

I watched the new episode on iplayer and honestly....meh.
Too much like the one where Rose gets her face sucked into the TV at the Coronation.
Mind you, the boss-woman's lines at the end - that is interesting. But I don't want to give anything away for anyone who hasn't watched it!
joanne

especially McGann as he's never had the chance to play the Doctor on the small screen and his Big Finish Audio's are excellent

Ahem...

I said on the small screen - that was a movie, OK strictly speaking a TV movie but I meant the type of format we are used to seeing i.e. An hour or so long
robkb

Ahem...

I said on the small screen - that was a movie, OK strictly speaking a TV movie but I meant the type of format we are used to seeing i.e. An hour or so long

Fairy nuff. I've only ever seen it on the telly, but yep, can't argue it was a movie Wink
Behemoth

Ahem...

Ahem, four 24 minute episodes over four weeks. None of this 'story in an hour' business....
joanne

Ahem...

Ahem, four 24 minute episodes over four weeks. None of this 'story in an hour' business....

OK I'll give you that one - I have a distinct fondness for the old format Smile
Mithril

Watching it tonight - can't wait Very Happy cir3ngirl

I've watched it again this afternoon Boy Wonder

What did everyone think about the second episode? I thouroughly enjoyed it, and have been converted to a Whovian! cir3ngirl

Trailer for 3rd one looks good Hairyloon

What did everyone think about the second episode? I thouroughly enjoyed it, and have been converted to a Whovian!
It was silly.
Boy Wonder

What did everyone think about the second episode? I thouroughly enjoyed it, and have been converted to a Whovian!
It was silly.

Yes, but the doctor is meant to be a bit silly.
Hairyloon

It was silly.

Yes, but the doctor is meant to be a bit silly.
I have no problem at all with the doctor being silly, but a humongous god like monster exploding because she waved a leaf at it defies credibility even in the Doctor Who universe.
Nell Merionwen

I think it was more supposed to be about what the leaf represented to her. Boy Wonder

Yes, the leaf was meant to be a metaphor. NorthernMonkeyGirl

I kept waiting for it to grab me (the show, metaphorically. Not the monster literally) but it never did. Not the leaf, not the "things I have seen" speech, not the mass singing.

I liked the boogeyman in the plastic box though - very Pan's Labyrinth-like.
Behemoth

I prefer shouty-bang episodes and usually snooze through the meainigful twaddle in the last 5 mins. Jamanda

To be fair, it is really a children's programme isn't it? eta and elephants joanne

To be fair, it is really a children's programme isn't it? eta and elephants

No it's a family show, always has been and always will be, it was an OK episode it not one of the very best
Jamanda

To be fair, it is really a children's programme isn't it? eta and elephants

No it's a family show, always has been and always will be, it was an OK episode it not one of the very best

fair enough - but family means suitable for children. I can't see that this incarnation is any less silly than Tom Baker or Jon Pertwee ones. I thought they were pretty far fetched then. But I enjoyed them.
Hairyloon

I think it was more supposed to be about what the leaf represented to her.
Yes, I did understand that, but if the creature was so easily overloaded by a metaphor, then why could they not just as easily find a metaphor to sustain it instead of requiring the human(oid) sacrifice?
Is this not the same doctor who refused to commit genocide even to the daleks?
Treacodactyl

It was a bit disappointing, yet again there was no tentacles. Rolling Eyes NorthernMonkeyGirl

Episode 3 much improved. I like Gatiss's writing Very Happy Boy Wonder

Episode 3 much improved. I like Gatiss's writing Very Happy

I agree, much better. None of this wishy washy metaphaor stuff, just big bangs and crashes. Great.
vegplot

Episode 3 much improved. I like Gatiss's writing Very Happy

I thought it was very bland.
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Was it Gatiss who wrote the one in the Library, and the weeping angels? I think uber-creepy is much more effective than CGI/costumes and "love" saving the day Wink joanne

Was it Gatiss who wrote the one in the Library, and the weeping angels? I think uber-creepy is much more effective than CGI/costumes and "love" saving the day Wink

No that was Moffatt - Last nights was an excellent old-school Doctor Who episode, updating a Classic monster sympathetically and showing Clara the consequences of travelling with the Doctor - We loved it and the kids were scared Smile
Boy Wonder

kids were scared Smile

Did they hide behind the sofa? Smile
Hairyloon

I don't like it when they win through pure luck. NorthernMonkeyGirl

I don't like it when they win through pure luck.

Mmm but that's probably quite realistic. For a time travelling alien, I mean Wink
cir3ngirl

We been thinking that Dr Who should be a winter series it seem wrong watching it in daylight.

We did enjoy tonight's though
NorthernMonkeyGirl

Goddamn it, I have failed to watch it "live" every single week! Iplayer time again... 12Bore

We been thinking that Dr Who should be a winter series it seem wrong watching it in daylight.
We did enjoy tonight's though
Thank you, it's not just me then!
Saturday evenings:
Grandstand
Tom and Jerry
News
Basil Brush
Dr Who
Dixon of Dock Green
Generation Game
Duchess of Duke St
The Two Ronnies