Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
earthyvirgo

Don't dither, just ask

On my 'to do' list for this week, I had "ring the RCA shop manageress and ask what she felt about 'launching' my new narcissi print for St. David's Day through the gallery shop".

I went over my little speech in my head, picked up the phone, said something quite different, (I think) and before I'd finished, she more or less said yes Smile
We still need to discuss a few details but other than that, it looks like a goer.

Sometimes, you've just got to be brave, bite the bullet and ask.

EV
sean

Indeed, the worst anyone's going to do it say no. (If they do you probably shouldn't get all of your mates/band-members to email in asking what time you're appearing. Hypothetically, if you ran a band that had been told that there wasn't room for you on the bill of a gig.)
Nick

The guy who set up Yo Sushi said he hadnt had a successful day, when trying to sell, if he hadn't been told no twenty times.
earthyvirgo

The guy who set up Yo Sushi said he hadnt had a successful day, when trying to sell, if he hadn't been told no twenty times.

Yeah, 'No's' do give you a sort of determination ...and resilience.

The people who annoy me are those who simply don't have the courtesy to reply to a call or email. I'd rather a 'no' than not knowing.

I've got one at the moment ...an outlet whom I'm pretty sure would stock my cards, as they show my original work but the person who's in charge of decisions (a Tourism Association Marketing Person) just isn't replying.

Annoying.

EV
bagpuss

Yeah, 'No's' do give you a sort of determination ...and resilience.

The people who annoy me are those who simply don't have the courtesy to reply to a call or email. I'd rather a 'no' than not knowing.

I've got one at the moment ...an outlet whom I'm pretty sure would stock my cards, as they show my original work but the person who's in charge of decisions (a Tourism Association Marketing Person) just isn't replying.

Annoying.

EV

The radio silence when you ask someone something is very annoying, a quick no is always better

Its a fab picture, I hope it sells well
Nick

Indeed. I have dozens of ongoing 'prospects' at any time. I know a percentage of them are wasting my time and theirs. So, tell me no, and I shan't bother you. No offence taken, it's simply business, nothing personal. I guess it's more personal when you're selling a painting/picture/handwoven undercrackers, but even so... jema

We have been "buying" recently as we need to get a lot of work done on the house.
It is surprising from the other side of the coin the number of sellers who fail to try for the "yes".
The guy who says, I can come out Monday afternoon take a look and quote you, tends to be the guy who walks off with the deal.
Nick

Simple as ABC.

Always Be Closing.

Not as crass as it seems, but people won't say yes, unless you ask them.

Remind me of this in 5 hours when I mess up a big deal this afternoon. Smile
jema

Yep, as a buyer I'm inclined to procrastinate, the guy who asks for the yes is doing us both a service, so if he is in the running I will just rationalise that here is the guy who actually wants the deal and sign.
bagpuss

Yep, as a buyer I'm inclined to procrastinate, the guy who asks for the yes is doing us both a service, so if he is in the running I will just rationalise that here is the guy who actually wants the deal and sign.

Of course when it is work men offering you something you do also have to be sure not to push people to far like double glazing sales men can do
jema

Well the second anyone says "for this day only" or similar, then they are defenestrated as a matter of course. Vanessa

Well done EV, that is another lovely print! Cool
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home