Archive for Downsizer For an ethical approach to consumption

Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
earthyvirgo

DS wordsmiths help needed

I'm currently (at long, long last) getting my new website sorted out.
The design side is all going swimmingly and I've got all the 'sections' sorted out BUT I'm searching, and not finding, the right words for 'The Shop'.

On the current dinosaur of a site, the buying goes on in 'The Galleries' but I really want this new site to be a bit more commercially geared.

I need a catchy 3 or 4 word title which makes it clear people can buy my work online. I mulled over "Browse and buy" but got an idea of a bring and buy sales stuck in my head Confused

To give you an idea of the sort of thing I'm after, my blog/diary is called "From the loft ..."

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks

EV
dpack

on the wall ?
Nick

Own it now.
Penny Outskirts

I like browse and buy, it says what it does. In our experience, you do have to be very pointed about saying BUY HERE!

Pootle and Purchase?
Potter and Purchase?

View and Vend ? Laughing
earthyvirgo

D'you think

"Buy you bu**ers" is a touch unsubtle? Wink

EV
marigold

"Gallery and shop"?
12Bore

Ponder and purchase
Mary-Jane

I like browse and buy too.
alice

Yes, please do make it obvious that you *can* buy. I get so fed up of wandering, hopefully, around sites only to eventually find myself directed to a bricks and mortar shop somewhere. And please make the delivery charges obvious - including non mainland UK Very Happy
I'm not criticising you - just websites in general Laughing
judith

Red spots
earthyvirgo

Yes, please do make it obvious that you *can* buy. I get so fed up of wandering, hopefully, around sites only to eventually find myself directed to a bricks and mortar shop somewhere. And please make the delivery charges obvious - including non mainland UK Very Happy
I'm not criticising you - just websites in general Laughing

Thanks for the feedback.
The 'shop' will be integrated directly into the site. I must admit I'm not that keen on buying from a global shopping site either. I bought a small print this week from another printmaker and even though she has an Etsy shop, I emailed her directly to arrange to buy. Feels nicer communicating directly with the artist.

The work is going to be split into 3 galleries:
Landscape
Fur and feather
Botanical studies

Each gallery will have an index showing all the linocuts in that category as thumbnails, one click will take you to a detailed page about that particular print and on that page you'll be able to 'buy now' using Paypal.

Comment about delivery noted Alice.

EV
earthyvirgo

Red spots

I'm definitely going to be using a little red dot icon to indicate sales.

I was thinking of a little grid showing the number of prints in the edition and I'd add a dot in the spaces whenever one sold ...good on one's which sell well but maybe it wouldn't encourage sales if there were no dots next to a print?

Not sure about that one.

The red dot psychology definitely works in a real gallery.

EV
Nick

Do I want a print if there's 200 made, and only 3 sold? (What's wrong with it?)
Do I want it, and would I buy quicker, if there were only 10 made, and 8 are sold?
Do I care how many others there are available/sold?
Do I mind paying 200 for a print when I can see the artist has already sold 85 copies of it already; isn't she made of money?

I don't know the answer to any of the questions, but the psychology must be interesting. Smile
earthyvirgo

Do I want a print if there's 200 made, and only 3 sold? (What's wrong with it?)
Do I want it, and would I buy quicker, if there were only 10 made, and 8 are sold?
Do I care how many others there are available/sold?
Do I mind paying 200 for a print when I can see the artist has already sold 85 copies of it already; isn't she made of money?

I don't know the answer to any of the questions, but the psychology must be interesting. Smile

Good/valid questions Nick.
I certainly wouldn't want to be printing 200 of some of my 6/7 colour prints!

I'm limiting most of my editions to 20 at the moment, and can't see that changing.

The rash of dots psychology works better in a gallery where all the dots can be seen at a glance and is, I think, more about keeping us with the Jones'.

EV
Nick

Aye, I picked figures at random, for both prices and run sizes. The questions remain the same, tho. Mr O

View and Vend? welsh veg grower

I prefer the "only 5 left" route but thats just me. Until my mum told me about the red dots I didnt know what they meant in a gallery, sorry.

"My shop" or "Buy Direct" could give it that more personal feel you are after but I tend to think it needs to say shop or buy here because people dont really look too closely.
vegplot

EV! EV! Did you see what he said EV? He said 'COPIES', he did so.
Nick

Clones? Nell Merionwen

I like buy direct. It reminds you that you are buying direct from the artist and not a third party. earthyvirgo

I prefer the "only 5 left" route but thats just me. Until my mum told me about the red dots I didnt know what they meant in a gallery, sorry.

"My shop" or "Buy Direct" could give it that more personal feel you are after but I tend to think it needs to say shop or buy here because people dont really look too closely.

Good point about number left WVG.

...and yellow dots mean 'reserved', and I think green is NFS Smile

EV
earthyvirgo

EV! EV! Did you see what he said EV? He said 'COPIES', he did so.

Kill him, now!

... each one is slightly different because they're individually hand-inked and hand printed.

EV
Nick

Fakes? Knock offs? earthyvirgo

Fakes? Knock offs?

Any chance of my doing a large 'pig' print (like the one of Mochyn's Heulog) are fast disappearing Nick Wink

EV
welsh veg grower

Fakes? Knock offs?

do you have appropriate protection Nick Wink
welsh veg grower

Good point about number left WVG.

...and yellow dots mean 'reserved', and I think green is NFS Smile

EV

blimy cant we just use words that all of us understand
marigold

"Buy Direct" sounds too discount-warehouse-y to my ears.. vegplot

I like buy direct. It reminds you that you are buying direct from the artist and not a third party.

It has my vote.
Nick

Unique, artisan created prints in a limited edition, each one with its own personality and charm? marigold

http://www.buydirect.co.uk/ Nell Merionwen

"Buy Direct" sounds too discount-warehouse-y to my ears..

then why not "buy direct from the artist" ?
marigold

That's better, but I did say "to my ears" - I'm often out of sync with the majority opinion Wink .

It needs to be something that ties in with the wording used for other links within the site and the general tone AND conveys the message "Roll up, roll up, get your luvverly individually hand-printed, limited edition artwork here" loud and clear. In 3-4 words Smile .
earthyvirgo

That's better, but I did say "to my ears" - I'm often out of sync with the majority opinion Wink .

It needs to be something that ties in with the wording used for other links within the site and the general tone AND conveys the message "Roll up, roll up, get your luvverly individually hand-printed, limited edition artwork here" loud and clear. In 3-4 words Smile .

Precisely Smile

My writing style, for the diary pages and description of how the works were conceived, tends to be pretty honest and chatty and I've had a fair few comments about its 'approachableness', so I'd like to keep that.

I think ...(I might be wrong) the general public expect artists to be fairly standoffish - so breaking the mould and not having to pretend I'm something I'm not, is quite nice.

Fortunately, the way the site's being designed, I'll be able to change all the text, so if the stats show the first version of the title isn't hitting the mark, I'll be able to change it without any hassle.

EV
Nell Merionwen

Precisely Smile

My writing style, for the diary pages and description of how the works were conceived, tends to be pretty honest and chatty and I've had a fair few comments about its 'approachableness', so I'd like to keep that.

I think ...(I might be wrong) the general public expect artists to be fairly standoffish - so breaking the mould and not having to pretend I'm something I'm not, is quite nice.

Fortunately, the way the site's being designed, I'll be able to change all the text, so if the stats show the first version of the title isn't hitting the mark, I'll be able to change it without any hassle.

EV

With that in mind I would go back to "buy direct from the artist".
It shows you are open to selling your own prints and happy to be approached. Rather than being aloof and using a agent.
Nick

Not standoffish, but maybe slightly disconnected with me.

I like pictures, we have lots, more than we have wall space for, but I don't really register that copies of prints aren't just copies, which justifies the price, but individuals, nor do I understand dots on pictures in galleries, and I don't like galleries because I feel awkward entering, browsing, and leaving without buying.

These are, I understand, holes in MY experience/education, but it's your problem, in that it makes it hard for me to buy, I guess.

(I don't have an answer, like.) Rolling Eyes
earthyvirgo

Not standoffish, but maybe slightly disconnected with me.

I like pictures, we have lots, more than we have wall space for, but I don't really register that copies of prints aren't just copies, which justifies the price, but individuals, nor do I understand dots on pictures in galleries, and I don't like galleries because I feel awkward entering, browsing, and leaving without buying.

These are, I understand, holes in MY experience/education, but it's your problem, in that it makes it hard for me to buy, I guess.

(I don't have an answer, like.) Rolling Eyes

It's all really, really useful stuff - not just for me but relates to the gallery in Conwy that I'm heavily involved with.

EV
Nick

Fakes? Knock offs?

Any chance of my doing a large 'pig' print (like the one of Mochyn's Heulog) are fast disappearing Nick Wink

EV

You and I both know that's where your professional life is leading. Stop playing for time. Wink
Went

Most people would look at a gallery link which could be divided into items for sale and items previously sold or past works or archive. Shan

How about something simple like: 'Buy online' or 'Buy prints online'
       Downsizer Forum Index -> Small Business Questions, Ideas and Advice
Page 1 of 1
Home Home Home Home Home