- 300g 11oz plain chocolate
- 225g 8oz unsalted butter
- 225g 8oz sugar
- 9 egg yolks
- a pinch of salt
- 5 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 150°c
- In a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate and butter.
- While it's melting, beat the sugar with the egg yolks.
- Mix the (slightly cooled) melted chocolate mixture with the egg yolk mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with a tiny pinch of salt until stiff.
- Fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Prepare two 18cm (7") cake tins.
- Spoon a third of the mousse into each, holding back the final third in the fridge to firm up a bit.
- Bake for an hour (this seems too much for me - try 40 mins first)
- Let the cakes cool.
- Sandwich together with the remaining mousse.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve with cream.
The recipe suggests this would serve 6. I reckon it would easily do 10 especially at the end of a big meal, but it is very, very good!